Tuesday, March 19, 2013

DAY TWO HUNDRED THIRTY SIX - scientific discoveries

In the morning, Becky took a run along the beach, while I lazed around and did some things I needed to do – brr, too cold for my liking. After breakfast – we skipped the ‘full English’ variety – we had the ‘opportunity’ of changing out our room. (It had not been changed for us the night before – don’t know about Beck, but I didn’t care.) Loraine said, ‘no, you won’t!’ But I convinced her it would actually be fun for us – an experience. After that, and more ‘sorting,’ we finally got out the door around 16:00 (military time, you know) for our day’s walk on the beach – we were on the search for fossils, here at the Jurassic Coast. (We actually found some – petrified oysters {gryphea dilatata – also known as devil’s toenails, we discovered later, from a friend – more about John Dadds later} in the mucky clay. Who knows – maybe there’s a petrified pearl inside!)

We went several miles east, down the beach. Too bad we got such a late start because eventually we went up from the beach to the grassy cliffs above, where our walk began to be an actual hike – where also, after not too long, we unfortunately began to lose the light  . . . AND the wind was blustery and cold. (Funny how winter never did catch up with me until several weeks before Becky arrived. Then, the day we left it was one of those days I’d been bragging about to her – where all you needed to keep warm was a hoodie jacket!) Darn it, we had just begun a fantastic adventure – the surrounding terrain looked every bit as much like the moors as you could imagine! I guess I’ve read plum too many English romance novels_

In the evening I participated in 20 minutes of Polly before my favorite Sunday School teacher, Paul Dadds, picked Becky and me up to have dinner at his and his wife, Carole’s, home for dinner – also Sisters Woods and Boman. They had just gotten back from a day trip to London to pick up Sister Wood’s visa at the British consulate (she’s from Preston, you may recall) so she can FINALLY get to Idaho where she has supposed to have been all along. As for Sister Boman, I will be seeing her at my front door sometime this summer when she returns to her studies at BYU. 

This is one of only a very few times in all the months I've been here in England that I've been invited to a proper English home for dinner. The meal was delicious - everything very tasteful. Got to know Carole as I never had before: another awesome friend. She has been devoting a great deal of care and time with Paul’s parents – especially his mother as she has in the last few years developed Alzheimer’s. A very difficult situation:  they are working with these stalwart, long-time members of the branch to try and convince them that a care home is the best choice for everybody – tough for all parties concerned.

As they are both artistic – and never been able to have children –Paul and Carole have been able to develop some really interesting hobbies. For one, they showed us the miniature house they’ve been working on for years now. (It is a three-story house set in the Victorian period, so fantastical I can hardly describe it – down to the minutest detail. For example, Paul, who is a graphic designer by profession, has made guild-framed pictures for the wall that have the images of Carole’s great grandparents – no larger than a third of an inch. The furnishings, the people’s clothing, as well as the accessories for the people AND the home, all are miraculous. I could have studied the interior rooms for hours. It was astonishing!) Also Paul showed me his awesome stamp collection – my favorites were the British stamps. (Good thing I don’t go for THAT anymore – stamp collecting – the cost can add up FAST!

That good boy, Jack – he gave us his bed for the next two nights (pretty generous) while he took the couch – till guests leave on Sunday afternoon and we move into the largest room, space-wise, the hotel has – on the ground floor, the one with the bath, where I will get all my stuff sorted before heading up to Birmingham – and from there, ultimately home.


Photos_

1- devil’s toenails – pearls, anyone?!
2- the first and ONLY time I ever saw this_