Tuesday, July 17, 2012

DAY SIX - Louth

Had a look at another neighboring town. (You know, in the UK they are
very emphatic about what makes up a village, what is a town, and what
constitutes a city. In America we'd have to agree that size is about
the only thing having to do with the definition. In England, a very
small place of residence is a village, and it usually has its own
small place of worship. One rises to a town with added population and
where there is a nice, large church. [Look in the next few days for a
photo of the Church of England church here in Grimsby. It is very
substantial, in my way of thinking, massive, in fact, but "only" a
church, as opposed to a cathedral {I would have believed it was one if
that's what I'd been told}, and Grimsby, a "mere" town.] You only earn
the designation of city if your church is a cathedral. [I admit it is
not as cut and dried here in England as it used to be in the past.) I
am so glad Sandra and I enjoy a similar activity – Shop till you Drop!
And especially trivial item shopping, as in charity shops.

We rode the bus the long way to Louth, meandering among the different
neighborhoods along the way, through all the ins and outs where people
might need to catch a ride into town. Took us almost 30 minutes to get
from the bus stop in Grimsby to where we disembarked. The center of
Louth is marked by a beautiful old Gothic church, older and more
ornate than the one in Grimsby. Spied some gargoyles, unfortunately
very damaged by centuries of damp. It was market day and we ladies
enjoyed the open market (went there first as it was threatening rain;
"you can always pop into a shop when it begins to spit"), the charity
shops, the antique mall and a variety of other shops nestled along the
main streets of town. I bought a nice warm pair of black and deep red
ragg (made of light and dark strands of yarn that create a flecked
pattern) gloves. You'll think that sounds especially odd from your
perspective, but remember it has not gotten to be summer on this side
of the world yet and I'm looking around the corner to winter.

[Still looking for the quintessential frame to house my precious
family portrait. Looking always with fear and trepidation, can't
afford to repeat my most recent frame shopping fiasco.]