Awoke to the streams of sunlight. Sunshine?! You mean to tell me we
haven't gone into an ice age?!! Time for breaking out -- or at least
thinking about it -- the short sleeve shirts and sandals. Now where
have I put those? I do believe I can safely say that this is one of
the first days since I've been here that I've awoken to something
other than overcast skies, and the first time I didn't need a jacket
for the better part of the day. Hadn't even bothered getting out my
sunglasses for the last while – knowing me you will know the days must
truly be dark and dank if that's the case.
Started off the day bright and early at the Car Boot (Sale) -- they
left off the last word in their sign, in case you were thrown off. As
you may know, a boot refers to the trunk of a car, and thus, this
would be a multi-person garage sale/yard sale event (seems like
somewhere I've been they've called it a trunk sale) on the churchyard
grounds. I had expected something like a similar event Wasatch throws
every year in the fall as a fund raiser, where there is just tons of
stuff. Had anticipated it excitedly, as I am a definite bargain
hunting aficionado, and wanted to be there first thing in order to not
miss anything. I suppose the professionalism (or not) of the sign
should have given me a clue. There were all of 6 different individuals
there selling their paraphernalia, and two of them were cupcake
bakers. Too early in the morning for that! Anyway, got a couple cute
skirts for church and the most awesome salt and pepper shakers. You
will just have to wait to appreciate them!
Did a little cleaning, bathroom and kitchen, then a little vacuuming
while I was at it. As Sandra has been gone all week, I wanted to have
a nice warm soup waiting for when she drags her weary body in. (I know
that Saturdays at the temple are especially busy as it is the one day
in the week when a majority of patrons can get away.) Also wanted to
plan a meal for Sunday as she will not have been here to plan that
out, and I thought some nice fresh flowers would be a nice greeting,
as well. So off to town I go, for a little shopping! Hey, I know, it's
a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it, right?!. (But, whatever you
do, PLEASE, don't throw me in the briar patch!! Private joke.)
Went to the Market, specifically on a produce search. I decided on a
lentil soup and a stir fry for our Sabbath day meal. (Can you imagine
that right here where I am in the world one can still go to the market
-- on a day to day basis -- for fresh produce, meats and cheeses,
bakery items -- and freshly cut flowers?! And not at the supermarket
where everything is altogether in one spot? Some would say isn't this
going backwards?! But, hey, not me. I love it!) I had intended to buy
some to welcome Sandra back home – meaning I was on the lookout for
some. Seeming as how it was towards the end of the day, and they
wouldn't be open again till the following Tuesday, there were bargains
galore afoot and I was able to purchase a 15-stem bouquet of coral
roses, and some delicate yellow flowers as an accent, for 1£ EACH. Can
you imagine! And then some of the more delicate produce was on special
as well: I got an enormous head of cabbage and a decent-sized
cauliflower, both for 60p! Man, those are the kind of deals I can
appreciate!
Also went to Sainsbury's, about on a par with Smith's. ALL their
produce is packaged in cellophane, and is all dated. Meaning that
every day something scrumptious comes up past due and is sold at half
price. Take a look at these mushrooms -- think I mentioned them
previously. Like I said, I have never even seen mushrooms like this in
America -- nomatter where I've gone! AND I get them for 64p -- just
for the asking. Eat your heart out. (I was SO glad to find out that
Sandra likes mushrooms just as much as me. As you know, they are not
our mother's favorite, nor her least favorite, cup of tea! The lady in
front of me got one, so then I had to have one, too (You can see for
yourself the awesome design!): a re-useable Sainsbury's shopping bag
-- for 10p. How could I pass that up?!
Here's one last good shopping story (I've notice in England that the
spelling, "storey," is used when referring to the storeys of a
building). Went into Iceland, (best described as a culinary
All-A-Dollar Store, where, while every item may not be a single pound,
though many are, all the rest are sold in increments of rounded-up
pounds, with no pence exchanged. No ta here, on food anyway.) A clerk
was showing me to the Chinese sauces (all sauces come in a jar).
Didn't have exactly what I wanted. She said there was one she often
got that had a hint of lemon that she really liked, but that she had
to go elsewhere to get it. I had originally asked about dried lentils,
which they didn't have (no surprise as they do have a limited
selection). So when I said, well, that's okay, because I have to go to
Sainsbury's anyway -- to get the lentils. She looked at me with a
twinkle in her eye, and said, Shhh, you're saying the "S" word! I
thought that was VERY funny. We both had a good laugh!
Photos_
1- One of two outside entrances to The Market
2- Bad pic of gigantic mushrooms (that is a man's index finger, try
to imagine how huge they are with that for perspective): sorry not the
best
3- My new British flag Sainsbury's bag, a'la fruit