Wednesday, September 19, 2012

DAY SEVENTY THREE - creatures of the feather variety, amongst others


Walked over to The MAC in the late afternoon – Midlands Arts Center. It’s my favorite place to find out what’s happening in the arts scene in the greater Birmingham area. They always have lots of brochures, and I often come across things I’d like to go and see. They have both theatrical productions and international, as well as current release, films (the concession price – that’s for older persons, like me – is £5). Not bad. (Next week Leah and I are going there to see Anna Karenina with Keira Knightley, Jude Law and Kelly MacDonald.) For example, their highlighted pick for the month of September is Searching for Sugar Man, winner of the Special Jury Prize at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival. (I come 4154 nautical miles/7698.2 kilometers/4783.5 miles from home and what do I find? A screening of a film I hosted up the canyon last January – right here, in my own backyard. How crazy is that?!)

Saw quite a few squeerels scrambling about, stuffing their cheeks with chestnuts. Must be Fall – though leaves have yet to get the message. I also spied some perky little baby moorhens swimming frantically through the water towards their parent. For cute . . . but wait! Isn’t it only in the spring when baby birds make their appearance? I’m so confused.

Thought you’d appreciate a little update on the bird watching I’ve been able to do, seeing as how I am such an avid birder, having brought my binocs along with me all this way and all. Well, let’s see, I’ve seen a lot of crows, magpies, mourning doves and pigeons (known affectionately as “rats of the sky”). See them right outside my window, every day. That’s it basically. Oh, yeah, a couple others I forgot – Canada geese and several varieties of ducks, coots, and grebes when I’m near a park.

[Now here’s something ironic for you: Just now, having written this, I went down to the laundry room where the lodgers’ frig is and who should walk in and greet me but Philip Sr. We have really only spoken once, just briefly, but this time we chatted congenially for several minutes. I discovered for one thing that he has a family of two boys, 7 and 10, back in Cambridge. Also of interest is that when I told him that I hailed from Utah, what that brought to his mind – resurrected from when he was a kid, he admitted – was an image of the Bonneville Salt Flats and speed racers. Funny, huh? Whereas the younger Phil had not heard of Brigham Young University, Philip the professor definitely had. But here’s the rub – in our conversation somehow we got around to the subject of birds (don’t ask me how THAT happened!) and Philip said that just this morning he had seen a stork, standing in the middle of the lawn, in the back garden (you know that photo from yesterday?!). OUR back garden! What?!! And here I was telling you about how there is nothing interesting to see by way of birds, and this sneaky creature goes and makes his appearance – right in my own backyard, and right when I’m not watching. For the love!]

*Correction: Myfanwy tells me that, actually, it is NOT a stork but rather a blue heron, and that it sits in the tallest tree, an oak, in our mutual back garden and peers down into her neighbor's small littlepool - waiting for . . . the random fish? Obviously she has extensive experience with this particular heron.


Photos_

1- the mac (not talkin’ McDonalds here!)
2- the ever elusive squeerel (believe it or not, for the speed of a squirrel, and the inefficiency of my dumb little digital, I was lucky to get this at all, as poor as it is!)
3- quack