Thursday, November 1, 2012

DAY HUNDRED SEVENTEEN - Birmingham to Poole to Weymouth

At the singles convention in Cardiff I made immediate friends with a lady by the name of Carole. (Not pronounced as we say it, like ‘Care-el,’ but rather with the first syllable similar to how we pronounce ‘cat.’ Fun huh?! She said she rather preferred our version and liked hearing her name said that way.) Anyway, Carole lives down in the south of the country, in Poole, and invited me to come and visit ANY time. (She is a very lovely, generous person, has been widowed for almost six years.) Unfortunately for me – not driving and all – it is a little too far away to just pop on over whenever I get the urge. She had also been telling me about a singles convention that was to take place the first weekend in November,in a place close to her called Weymouth. (Along with Cornwall, further to the west, the Dorset coastal resort communities of Bournemouth (where my landlady had just returned from a five day vacation a couple days before I left), Weymouth, and Swanage are popular seaside holiday destinations to the Brits, and have been operating as such for centuries – probably even long before old William of Normandy ever cast his covetous eyes upon them.) How could I NOT go? You must take advantage of every possible opportunity, my brother, McKay, took me aside to say before I left to come across the pond. (Recently discovered from my new Scottish friend, Malcolm McKay, that we’ve been saying this name wrong all these years – more correctly it is articulated as ‘McKye!’)

Carole is the one who suggested the institution of ‘Megabus’ as my way south – boy, and am I glad she did! It is a nice comfortable coach that travels to various places around the country (persons on any particular coach may be headed for a number of different stops along its particular route) – AND the incredible thing is that it does it at an amazingly reasonable price! For instance, it cost me £20 to get from Birmingham to Poole, a four to five-hour drive. Now there’s nothing to keep me from travelling all over the place. ‘Course, there’s always that little thing about pinpointing a place to stay once you’ve gotten yourself there . . . and that, too, at a reasonable price. (Check it out, guys; they have them in the United States, I understand – and Europe, too! Faster and cheaper than buses – and trains.)

Got my ticket online.  In order to have some extra time with Carole in Poole before we went off to the convention, it had been my plan to leave a day sooner than this.  However, as Loraine, the lady who was taking the singles convention reservations, intimated there was a good chance she could hook me up with someone I could carpool down to the convention with, I held off checking into the bus thing.  As the date approached and when I still hadn’t heard from her, I began my first delvings into the world of Megabus. To my disappointment, I discovered that by this time the spots for the morning trip on the day I had wanted to go were no longer available. (There is also an evening departure that arrives in Poole around midnight – uhm, no thanks. Good thing, too, as it turned out . . . my trip lengthened out longer than the online schedule had indicated – it would have been REALLY late.) Thank goodness for having given myself that much leeway at least – the convention began on the Friday night and concluded Sunday, following an evening fireside – and thankfully, I would still be in plenty of time to not miss anything. (There was an option for staying over an additional night for those who were interested.)

Leah was good enough to drop me off at the two side-to-side bus stops downtown on Colmer Circus Queensway (one of the very streets that appears on the Destination Birmingham board game we were playing the other night!) where the Megabus collects its riders. (As we were slightly early we took a little side trip and Leah drove me past the recently re-built school where she teaches.) There was a nice company man at the stop, clipboard in hand, helping people get oriented as they waited for the arrival of their scheduled bus. He ‘thoughtfully’ apprised me that the driver had radioed ahead to report that the loo on the bus was out of service, and that now might be a good time to get in a little ‘toilie try’ before it arrived. I had fifteen minutes to have a go at following his directions through several blocks of city-scrapers to some abstruse tavern and then weave my way back, all without getting lost. Did it – whew! The whole will-I-end-up-missing-the-bus thing got my heart pumping REAL good, I can tell you.

When the coach did show up there was a wee fuss with the driver over the fact of my not having the proper ticketless Megabus email confirmation print-out (but I DIDN’T know . . .) to document my payment and reservation (honest judge, I never received it, I promise), but, gratefully, the man with the clip board was able to corroborate my claim by means of a simple phone call, so all was well once again and I was able to settle back for the ride.

Sat down, quite close to the front, next to a beautiful young Chinese woman with the clarity and depth of skin that makes you to feel like you can practically dive right in, if you know what I mean. She told me her American name was Florence – chosen by her boyfriend because, she informed me, 1) the name was very classic, 2) the city of Florence was a beautiful place, and 3) correspondingly, she was a beautiful girl. (Inside AND out, it proved true!) She had never been to America so I invited her to ask a true American anything she had ever wondered about but hadn’t had the opportunity to ask. We had a great conversation, part of it with religious underpinnings (she is not Christian), before she left me at Coventry (where my friend, Gillian, lives) to visit her boyfriend for the weekend.

The kilometers ticked away: after Coventry, there was Banbury, Oxford, Winchester, and finally South Hampton. (One of the more interesting city names we passed along the way was ‘Pokesdown for Boscombe.’ Don’t know why it’s called that – you’ll just have to look it up!) Yes, it was a good four and a half hours on the motorways, just as advertised – I mostly read and dozed some. What the Megabus internet site failed to make clear was that the final leg of the trip was to drop you at the rail station near the South Hampton airport, with Poole another one hour twenty back to the west by train (we’d come further east than need be – for me anyway – for the fact that South Hampton is a larger metropolis, and thus, the prescribed route). Oh, long journey!

The plan was for me to meet Carole at the Poole Hospital where she was engaged till 5. (Carole works several days a week in their pathology lab as a phlebotomist – in other words, a blood letter.) When I alighted from the train at Poole, naturally I had no idea how far or in what direction I needed to go to find the hospital. But not to be outdone, I did what I always do: ask questions of strangers – and do it quick! I was all prepared, with my ‘vast experience,’ to take a bus to get wherever I needed to go – the great thing turned out to be that the hospital was within fifteen minutes walking distance of the train station. Along the way I came across a large shopping center with many stores I recognized. I was really tempted to take a look (I am not close to any major department stores where I live presently), but passed by. With an hour left to go before our scheduled meeting, I wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction and that I could determine the location of her laboratory once I got there.      

 Having woven my way through the hospital corridors, I asked the receptionists where it indicated ‘blood tests’ if a Carole Powell worked there. Yeah, she did! So I curled up in the waiting room, once again with Wolf Hall, and loitered until she had finished her duties for the day. A couple of times she had reason to pass through the area where I was sitting and I could see by her face that, correspondingly, she was relieved, as well, to see that I had made it okay.

Finished for the day we drove to Carole’s home (as I never did make it back to Carole’s, I was sorry I had not been able to come the day earlier as I had originally planned – to have experienced more of the flavor of Poole. Oh, well – another time, for sure!), where she rents out rooms to help cover her costs. I looked around while Carole threw the last of her things together, and once again we were off – this time headed due west, straight for Weymouth, where the convention was being held at a hotel on the promenade. (A seaside town in the county of Dorset, Weymouth is situated on a sheltered bay at the mouth of the River Wey on the English Channel coast. With a population of just above 50,000, it has been a significant port since medieval times and a major seaside resort since the 18th Century. Weymouth is a well-known tourist resort, its economy dependent upon its harbour and visitor attractions. An interesting American historical item of note:  In 1635, on board the ship Charity,* around 100 emigrants from the town crossed the Atlantic Ocean and settled in Weymouth, Massachusetts. More townspeople emigrated to America to bolster the populations of Weymouth, Nova Scotia, and Salem, Massachusetts. Then called Naumking, Salem became infamous for its witch trials.)

We arrived at our destination just in time to sup with the rest of the group – see photo below.  (ALL the meals were yummy:  plentiful, well-prepared, and British, through and through – meaning lots of white bread, gravy and every form of potato you could imagine. Do you know in the grocery store there are up to 10 different varieties available?!) It was during supper, as we were acquainting ourselves with one another, that I made the most curious discovery:  I had been saying that I had come from Birmingham, and more exactly, from the Harborne Ward. Someone pointed out, ‘then you’ll know those guys over there at that table,’ referring to Andy and Roger (I came to learn). I recognized Andy (in his 40s) right away as he is a striking guy, with a lovely Roman nose due to his boxing earlier in his life, VERY fun, thick Brummy accent – though we had never been formally introduced; Roger, a decade older, I didn’t know at all. (Of course, I had to make a big deal about here I was and here they were and how come we didn’t know to get together? – after all we'd come almost 200 miles - may not seem far to you, but, here in this 'small island,' that is a LOT! Before the weekend was over we had the chance to become the closest of friends as I ended up taking them up on their offer for a ride home – four hours stuck in small space together has a tendency to do that. I had thought I’d stay on with Carole, but in the end decided to come on home with them on Sunday.  I don’t know what there is about it, but when I get to the end of something, given the opportunity, I suddenly can think of nothing other than ‘I just wanna get home – and quick!’)

Having been refreshed we played a fun version of ‘speed getting to know you,’ in which two people interviewed one another for 60 seconds. The idea was to gather obscure, uncommon facts that hopefully nobody else had asked. You got points for information that nobody else had extracted from the person. It was a lot of fun and gave you the opportunity to gain a lot of information you could use in making conversation – the whole idea, I’m sure. After that we had musical entertainment by BJ McCabe – live music for an intimate (talking size of the room here) dance (we ladies have such fun dancing with one another in a group). This event took place in the ‘bar area,’ while there was another large sitting room with a fireplace, the lounge, where people played games and got to know one another better.

I confess I went to bed earlier than most: I was bushed from the long day of traveling – after all, I AM Jeff’s mom! Others confessed that they did NOT find their way to their beds till the cows came home - up late playing cards. Oh, my!
*Of further enunciation note, Carole kindly brought to my attention, as she soon discerned from straining to understand my mumblings, that in the use of certain words I was throwing her off by pronouncing my ‘t’s like ‘d’s. (Whoa, I wasn’t even aware of that!) For example: (charidy), as in charity shop, (fidded), as in fitted sheet, (visider), as in visitor, (Kadie), as in Katie – try it yourself, and you’ll see what I mean (though at the same time, to redeem myself, I do NOT say moun’ain!). I’ve found that it is really hard to get my tongue to say a good strong ‘t.’ How about you? (Hhm, I’m seeing a pattern here – the phenomenon seems to occur in words mostly where the ‘t’ is in the middle of the word, with a second syllable following after. See what I’m saying! Take the word ‘middle,’ for instance – seems somebody has already exchanged the ‘t’s for ‘d’s. Hah hah!)


Photos_

1-2 Megabus
      all aboard
      great marketing on the mega backside  
3- postcard Weymouth
4- Weymouth beach, back in the day
5- Weymouth beach today - summer - not now, of course, where it's all about people walking their dogs!
6- the Promenade at Weymouth – l to r, terraced row of hotels, the street, the asphalt boardwalk, the sand (pebbles really), finally the ocean (the Richmoor Hotel is situated in this very fashion – that close to where its happening!)
7- another shot of the promenade, aka the esplanade
8- dining experience (actually this is breakfast, as opposed to dinner – notice, British toast, unshaven men – but it gives a good idea of where we were served our plated meals; Loraine is the smiling lady towards the back in a blk & white blouse)