Friday, December 7, 2012

DAY HUNDRED FIFTY ONE - bday on the slow


Today I’m doing everything I want, and need, to do – so couldn’t be happier! Just as Erin suggested, ‘I hope you have a great day planned - even if in a simple way,’ I did. Had a lot of email wishes, several texts, and even a couple phone calls. The pièce de résistance  was that Erin – AND Nicole – recorded my very special grandkids talking, singing, and blowing me kisses for my birthday. Aaah, SO endearing! Then to top it off, Erin sang me, and contented little Arrow (you want to cuddle up just watching him), a special birthday song. Aaah, even more. I don’t know how much she thinks this old heart can bear!!

·        +Started off my day with a breakfast of Scotch pancakes, laced with Lyle’s Golden Syrup that I had brought with me from Grimsby
·        +Went up to campus to treat myself to a trim. My mangy locks were in need of a little managing – the whole thing was beginning to look pretty wild child. Though it wasn’t necessarily the cut I wanted– took off more length than I was thinking, plus more layering – but it’s just as well, I'd have to get a handle on it eventually.  Nice lady who cut my hair, nice to talk to – about Jenny’s age, I’d say
·        +Gave myself a manicure
·        +Got some Schloer – mmm, love that stuff – the red grape variety
·        +Had some German stollen for cake (though I’d heard of stollen before, I really discovered it at the Farley Thanksgiving feast – have been dreaming about it ever since, so broke down and got me some for the big day!) while luxuriating in a nice, hot stolen bath (I’m only allowed one bath a week, as my landlady is particularly ‘save the environment’ fanatical)

[A shout out to that sweet Jackie who bent over backwards to make sure I heard a birthday wish today – at 2:30 in the morning, no less, her time! Hello, dear, Jackie. Thanks for being my friend!!!]


Photos_

1- Scotch pancakes – not quite American panners! – too thin and eggy
2- I’m thinking Miley Cyrus’ new ‘do’ is lookin’ pretty sweet. Who knows – what d’ya think?!
3- me in the salon
4-5 what was happening up on campus today
6- me in the bath
7- stollen – a bread-like fruit cake containing dried fruit (typically raisins in my experience), nuts and spices, and often marzipan, covered with powdered sugar – a traditional German cake, usually eaten during the Christmas season
8- what Erin gave me for my bday
9- what I got for me for my bday