Friday, December 28, 2012

DAY ONE HUNDRED SIXTY SIX - shortest day of the year, or end of the world as we know it*


From BBC4 Radio: ‘Today’s weather can be summed up in two words – wet and windy.’ (Then, quite unexpectedly, a different male voice chimed in, ‘very – and that makes three!’ Haha.) Not only that, but as today marked the winter solstice, we experienced the shortest day – in terms of light anyway – we’re going to get all year. Whew - from this point, it’s all downhill!

Feel less inclined to moan, however, having read a Christmas newsletter from a couple I worked with at BYU, Ron and Lynnette Bybee, now serving in the Stockholm Sweden Mission, where at the present time they are experiencing three hours of daylight in a 24 hour period. In a small town of 3500, they report that they are having to adjust to 2’ of snow and temperatures ranging from 25 to -7°F. Their Christmas wish to all: May your Christmas season be filled with His love and a bit of Zion.

In the morning got a random phone call from Sue, a single sister I didn’t know, who was inviting me to a birthday party for another single sister I didn’t know either. (We singles like to stick together!) She actually had contacted me at the request of my friend, Carole, in Poole (not too far away – by car). We haven’t had a chance to see one another since I arrived in the south, and she was looking for any chance for us to get together. We arranged that Sue would pick me up around 5:10 later that day. (Sue lives in Oxford and is here for the holidays to visit her parent who live in Weymouth.)

Spent the afternoon with Loraine at several interesting stores, preparing for the ‘onslaught’ that is soon to take place – the arrival of ‘the coach!’ The first was something akin to MacFrugals, but with food and a much more extensive and elaborate operation – you know, the kind of place where you have no idea what treasure you might come upon, and if you’re interested, you’d better snatch it right up now because there’s a good chance it won’t be there the next time around. The second was a warehouse of food and dry goods for caterers and other persons who cook and provide for a goodly amount of people. You grab your dolly and go to town. My, oh, my, did we load up on the goods! Spent the better part of the afternoon getting every imaginable bit in way of supplies.

I asked Loraine today while we were out shopping if they (the whole Godwin crew – Elaine and her kids) would be having a big Christmas eve or day dinner, crammed in somewhere among all the other things that needed to be done on those days. It was then that Loraine told me what Christmas has come to represent for her: it was on Christmas that her husband had left her, leaving notes behind that he just couldn’t go on, with the intention of killing himself, but then didn’t and returned to a far off bedroom in the hotel in the wee hours of the morning, not letting anyone know they could stop their frantic searching. (Seems he had been having an affair with a younger woman.) Can you imagine the trauma for that entire family of seven kids on that day?! Then the following Christmas, by that time mostly divorced but, of course, things were still really harry, her mom had been visiting and much terrible arguing, haranguing and blaming had been going on. Loraine’s mom, who she was very close to, ended up quite ill in the hospital from all the stress and turmoil. Loraine tried to be with her there the most she could, but sadly she died within the next couple days. And through all this anguish and suffering, Loraine had to put on a happy face and conduct business as usual at the hotel. Can you imagine why Christmas is a difficult time of year for her? As I have had my own share of Christmastime trauma, I could surely relate to the mixed feelings she associates with this season – a time that should be one of wonderful happiness and cheer.

When we got home from our shopping spree, I was in my room puttering about a bit, when I got a text from Sue explaining, last minute, that Carole would be happy for me to spend the night if I wanted, but that she, Sue, would not be able to take me back to Weymouth. I interpreted that to mean IF I didn’t return tonight, when in fact it meant wouldn’t be able to altogether. (Derek, Sue’s other passenger, that I remembered from before, was opting for the stay over, and so he’d be able to help me figuring out the best way to get back home later.) It was receiving her text that brought my brain back to reality. In all the commotion of the afternoon, and because the invitation had only come that morning, I had totally forgotten about my commitment to go out that evening. Had to hustle to be ready to go in
approximately 15 minutes. Ended up wearing the jeans I’d had on all day, and felt bad to not be more appropriately dressed – we were starting the evening out at the Bournemouth Ward Christmas party, one of many wards in our stake. Turns out, luckily, that I was dressed like everybody else! (Loraine had really wanted to join me, but for now remains in that stage of life with kids still at home, needing her for some last minute ‘mom taxi stuff.’

It was Sue driving me and Derek. (I am always thankful that SOME people have cars! Sometimes in my walkabout world I plum forget that there’s a whole other world out there – the one I left behind five and a half months ago.) She needed a little help with directions, old things sometimes seem unfamiliar to her, and Derek was able to do that (not me!) Sue told me that about a year ago she had suddenly experienced a major case of temporary amnesia, medically known as transient global amnesia. She had had to relearn everything – and, almost more than that, regain her confidence. Seemed to me that there would have to have been some sort of head injury or tumor to have caused something as severe as that - but there hadn’t. I asked her if she had suffered any major stressors about that time. She thought about it for a minute, and said, ‘well, actually, yes, there had been – a major job change,’ and she remembered feeling particularly concerned about it at that time. I’ve never known anyone whose had this type of experience, one that comes on so unannounced and has such a profound effect.

The cultural hall was all festooned with holiday cheer. There was an elaborate array of savory and sweet foods to eat – we ate our fill. As well there were all sorts of crafts and games for kids, young and old, to do and play – like at a school fair. Very fun, noisy and full of energy, friendly. After we watched Father Christmas distribute gifts to every child – and there were a goodly number – collecting more singles to ride along with us, we made our exit and drove a little further to the Poole Ward Christmas party.

It was here at this function that we finally came upon my dear friend, Carole. (said with as broad an ‘a’ as you can say – like in ‘map,’ unlike the way we say ‘carol’ – Carole has told me she rather likes the American way of saying her name) This party had pretty much the same setup as the last – excepting, rather than a dinner they had hired a young woman who makes crepes at faires, etc – both the sweet AND the savory type. I waited patiently in line, (patiently because it took a while as each one is individually made fresh for you personally), for my caramel Nutella variety, minus the pounds of cream – until at the top of the line, when I was so close I could taste it, I came upon this official sign (the painted-letter kind made from wood that is hinged at the top so it will stand up) – and here it listed all the kinds she was prepared to make for you – AND the prices. Turned away in dejection, thinking, as much as my mouth was watering for a real crepe (don’t know if I’ve ever even had an honest-to-goodness actual crepe like this before!), I didn’t want it that 3-pound-50 much! Instead I went and made me a little baby Jesus on straw in a walnut shell – with a glue gun – as we all have at one time or another. When you see a photo of my little tree, you’ll see him nestled there. (Happy end to my crepe story – having arrived at the front of the line and then leaving it, turns out the crepe lady had posted her sign, as she always does, as an advertisement for her business – letting everyone know that she can bring ‘her shop’ to you – anywhere. So back in line I went – to get that caramel Nutella crepe afterall!)

Carole and I hugged and chatted away – what was new  with her and her children, her lodgers, her job. (Sometime soon I will go and spend some time with her in Poole – funny how different things are when you don’t have a car.) I was torn between staying with her that night or going on home. In the end, never did get to THE birthday party. As about the time I was leaving to go with Sue and Derek, Loraine had been feeling especially despondent and overwhelmed, (she has a lot of burdens on her shoulders – sorrows the eye can’t see, as I have come to think of it), I determined to put my own desires on the back burner and get on back home to perhaps help lift some of those strains.

When we got a quiet moment I told Carole that I had made up my mind to return home this evening – regardless of the cost, but that I needed to figure out the departure times for the bus or train back to Weymouth – by then I had learned that Sue was not returning tonight OR tomorrow.  We figured our best bet was to find a person with connections – someone with an iPhone, yes! Our second attempt led us to a priesthood brother.  (I said to him, ‘wow, I’m impressed – a middle-aged person with an iPhone!’ His rejoinder – ‘middle-aged, hah! I’ve got kids who are middle-aged!’ haha.)’ Turned out he was the high counselor who had been involved with the Singles Convention in Weymouth I’d attended back in November – and he actually remembered me. (Impressive!) Not only did he have an iPhone, but was very attentive and went even a step further – ‘need to get to Weymouth? How about these guys – they’re going to Weymouth, indicating the Paynes! Saved me £10 (it was Derek who told me that a one-way ticket to Poole is £10 something, whereas a return ticket is less than another pound more. What?!) and a long old lonely ride home, plus all the fuss and muss of Loraine having to come and get me at the station. (I guess there’re some perks to being an American in a foreign country – people tend to remember you!) 

Never did get to that promised birthday party for Carole (new friend) that would soon be heading over to my old friend Carole's house – but the Payne’s were leaving now, and I was grateful for the offer of a ride. Two ward parties – and NO birthday party later, we were on our way back to Weymouth. The Paynes are an interesting couple, both rather young looking – even younger than I thought because Fiona told me they’d been married for 16 years. I had seen them for the first time the night before at the Carol Concert where Fiona had lead the congregational singing and lead/sang in the choir, as well. (In fact, Fiona is the daughter of the Relief Society President. I had remarked to Fiona how much I thought she looked like her mom. Dave had quipped in, they’re cookie cutters – all four of the children!) Dave played the piano for a couple songs – in particular, the Twelve Days of Christmas. 

Loraine had told me that while Fiona was active in the church, Dave was not a member. Pretty great to see him here tonight, actively participating in a ward function –and it wasn’t even their ward, but an adjoining one. I was especially pleased to see that he is well-known, included, accepted and involved. As my former bishop, Bishop DeSous, would say – a dry Mormon! (Well, at least you can’t say that seeds haven’t been sown – now waiting for that dry ground to germinate.)
I asked Fiona what had brought them there and Fiona said because they had asked Dave to perform some of his magic – which was exactly what he had been doing when I first saw him in the corner of the cultural hall with a crowd of people gathered around. I knew that Dave was a music teacher, but further discussion showed that, in fact, he was a math specialist. (Wow – multi-faceted guy!) And then there’s Fiona – get ready for this – who designs the structural frame of military helicopters! (No joke!  . . . and no children.) Dave commented that he thought it was pretty cool that I’d had the courage to come and live in an unknown land. I told him thanks for that encouragement. We talked a little about growing up – or not! –  and then agreed that all of us would be perfectly happy to stay Peter Pans – when and IF we ever grew up! As you can see, I really enjoyed talking to them.

*Which leads us in the end of the day to the end of the world that, thankfully, did not happen: don’t know about you, but I still need some grandkid hugging before that day! As reported by a number of tabloids, both factual and silly:

Events had been organized across the planet for people to either gather for the oncoming Armageddon or to celebrate together the continuance of the human race. Many were drawn to locations where it is believed they have a chance of surviving the apocalypse.  The most prominent of these was a mountain in the French Pyrenees where a giant UFO and aliens were said to be waiting to spirit those nearby to safety. But the area around the village of Bugarach was reported quiet at 11.11am, apart from those who had flocked there for the event.

Update to the Mayan calendar prediction, ‘End Of The World 2012? Not Just Yet,’ 

Dec. 21 started out as the prophetic day some had believed would usher in the fiery end of the world. By Friday afternoon, it had become more comic than cosmic, the punch line of countless Facebook posts.

Doomsday hour comes and goes in several parts of the world - and we're all still here!

According to the Times Mirror:  The world has not come to an end - or so it appears.

BC News is checking in around the world, as the clock turns to midnight on Dec. 21, to find out if the world has ended — so far, so good.

Thousands of people around the world have been anxiously wondering whether the end of a 5,126-year cycle of the Mayan "Long Count" calendar would mark the apocalypse. But the predicted time of the world's end - 11.11am - came and went today without any significant reports of widespread doom (although there are new predictions that the world will end in 2018.  

Photos of the day when the world DIDN’T end:
1- Guatemalan Mayan natives, Tikal, Guatemala - end of the 13th Baktun (surprise, surprise – it's not the end of the world!)
2- Bugarach, France - d'éviter l'apocalypse (no apocalypse this time!)
3- on the Salisbury Plain, Stonehenge, England (everybody’s got to get in on the act!)
4- keep calm








Photos (in general)_
1- Bybee Byline from Byske, Sweden - close to the north pole, brrr
2- birthday card I know all my kids would have wanted to give me for my birthday, but 'they didn’t know!’ (To raise funds for camp this summer, the young men and women of the Bournemouth Ward Christmas were selling greeting cards at a discount. There were a lot of fun ones; however, most of those were ones I could envision someone giving to me – so I just enjoyed them, but didn’t buy.)
3- ward Christmas party in Poole
4- crepe maker par excellence had three irons going at once (mhmm, hot and tasty – crunchy on the outside and tender in the middle)
5- crocheted potholder and otherwise trinketed Christmas tree – how could you NOT put that on display?! (Is this a true Morman handicrafts item or what?!)
6- Sue, bedecked birthday girl-Carole (new friend, Carole, not my old one), and Derek