Thursday, December 13, 2012

DAY HUNDRED FIFTY TWO – at Raddlebarn


It was one of those days that if I weren’t at Raddlebarn School, you’d be sure to find me at home,  taking advantage of every possible minute of daylight to get ready for my imminent trip tomorrow to Amsterdam – and if not that, then my soon-to-be, ‘pack everything up,’ relocation to Weymouth.

[The word ‘raddle,’ from the 16th century, was used in reference to fence making. A raddle is a hurtle (a portable panel usually of wattled withes and stakes – cross pieces woven through upright stakes – used especially for enclosing land or livestock); thus a raddle barn would have been a type of timber-framed structure with the walls filled in this way. ‘Raddle’ was used also to signify something reddish in colour. Dye was made from a natural mineral found in clay called red ochre. After washing out the sand content, the dye had many uses, including marking sheep and dyeing wool. Thus the term, ‘raddlebarn,’ could also have referred to a barn where these activities might have taken place. Much of the area where the current school now stands was farmland, and it is recorded that  the farmhouse itself stood north of the present Raddlebarn Road.]

Raddlebarn Primary School (including, nursery-age 3, reception, like our kindergarten- age 4, then years 1 through 4), where Katya and Oliver attend school – in reception and year 2, respectively – was from its beginning a school facility. As population of the area increased during the Edwardian Period, the District Council opened Raddlebarn Lane Temporary Council School, and eventually the senior boys’ department of the school (girls and boys attended class in separate rooms, and sometimes even facilities) became its own separate entity. Raddlebarn Primary School is still accommodated in the original building which was opened in 1909. The building is actually pretty amazing looking for such an old boy!

What you find inside the school is very much like any other grade school anywhere (see photo of classroom below) – not to speak of awesome teachers and administrators . . . AND students! On this particular day I had the chance to attend two functions at the school. First what happens every Friday morning: all the under-grade students (up to year 2) gather as individual classes for the Special Mentions assembly. Students who have excelled stand up, sometimes came up, so they can be acknowledged by their peers. (Great way to say, without putting it into words, ‘Awesome for these, our friends. As well, you, too, can achieve this, and next time we hope it will be you we are applauding!) Both Katya and Oliver have been duly acknowledged in the past.

Recognition of academic achievements came first, where students’ names were read out of the ‘Gold Book’ and their teachers had a chance to rave about their performances. From there they went on to highlight redeemable character traits – one boy, for instance, was recognized for having a good sense of humor AND knowing when to use it! Others mentioned were for being well-behaved, kind, helpful, a hard worker – or the ATTEMPT to do any of the aforementioned, anyway. There was also a group award for the all-around, best group – which this time happened to be the Ward children’s group – the Unicorns. Yeah - now MANY people had the opportunity of being highlighted! (I love the use of positive peer pressure in evidence here - seems like a useful tool to me and well-merited! At this assembly it was evident how the attributes of discipline and hard work are being instilled – something that will serve these students well as it takes them all the way up the ladder till they are ready for attendance at ‘uni,’ as they say it here.)

Later in the day I returned again to Raddlebarn for the Winter Bazaar – indoor games for kids, crafts, demonstrations and food. Much merriment was in evidence. (A small part of the event was to act as a fund raiser for the school itself.) It was a really fun, lively activity. As I was wandering around the halls, I happened upon Santa’s Grotto. (It is so funny to me that you dip into ‘Santa’s Grotto’ in order to see Father Christmas.) I got permission to pop my head in – never having been to Santa’s Grotto before (grotto meaning a small picturesque cave, especially an artificial one in a park or garden – because it’s a ‘cave,’ it has a darkened appearance:  I wonder how the associated tradition of ‘grotto’ and ‘Santa’ got started?), at which point the attendant asked if I’d like to have my photo taken with Father Christmas (not anything like what I’d expect MY Santa to look - gross man with glasses!). Well, of course, why not! As I walked towards him, I added in a silly voice as I approached, ‘Santa, I’ve been a good girl ALL year,’ at which his side reply to me was, ‘Well, that’s not the kind of girl I LIKE to see, but I don’t say that to the little girls.’ Oh, grosser still!

One of my prime objectives for walking up to the school a second time in the same day, besides wanting to see a little more of the interior of the school – as it was open to the public more than usual  – was to see Katya sing Christmas carols with the school choir. I was surprised to find that this happening was taking place outside in the courtyard. (One major thing I learned in Amsterdam, especially, is that for people in Europe, winter weather is no deterrent to the normal events of life. It just goes on – come rain or shine! That mindset has been something I have had to adjust to as I’ve always been a ‘okay, it’s winter – time to hole up!’ kind a’ gal.) Great singing, of course – the kids seemed to really be enjoying themselves. I had to think for a minute about how why here in England, where there is SO much diversity of culture and religion, much beyond what we are used to, would songs all about baby Jesus be permissible. I mean, what about political correctness and all? And then it dawned on me – here there is a state-prescribed religion, the Church of England (the ruling monarch is the head of the church – thanks to you, King Henry VIII), so they can do whatsoever they danged well please!

 [I have to make mention of what for me has been one of the hardest things to adjust to so far in this little journey I am on – that it gets dark SO early in the day. Nobody warned me about this. In my mind, by the time it gets dark, the day is basically over. Well, that doesn’t fly so well around here because it is almost 8 in the morning before it begins to get light and then by 3:30 it has already started to wane.  (That is NOT a very long day!) By the time I am finally getting on a roll, the day is virtually over. I just can’t get over it – I feel like I’m losing a quarter of my day, every day! This is something I am definitely going to have to become accustomed to. (I suppose that the house where I live, as it is kept quite tepid, doesn’t help the situation any either.) Postscript:  Myfanwy just helped me see a silver lining to this scenario – the same northern hemisphere that gives you shorter days also gives you longer days in the summer. That could probably make it worth it – if I just keep thinking along those lines during the down times!]


Photos_

1- Raddelbarn Primary School
2- back in the day - circa 1931
3- uniformed children seated at the Special Mentions assembly (Oliver next to the stage up to the top on the far left)
4- stage at the assembly in the eating/utility room, children from individual classes being highlighted (teachers in either photo expounding on the merits of their students)
5- typical classroom
6- courtyard (interior between buildings where different years are housed - in waning light . . .in the afternoon!)
7- sing choirs of angels
8- another cool thing about Katya_  The family had given this card to Leah for her birthday a few weeks back. Katya had remarked to her mom, ‘it’s not very modest, is it mommy?!’ And then proceeded to fix it! It is SO professionally done that you would almost not even recognize that the drawing had been modified, if you hadn’t been aware. The bodice was just that dark red area. You can see that not only did she raise the neckline area but she also gave it sleeves, and included the very same decoration. And as if that weren’t enough – she added fancy shorts to match! Pretty clever, pretty artistic. Pretty awesome girl – potential woman!
9- honey bee in the clutches of Father Christmas (‘er, I mean, ensconced in Santa’s Grotto)