(*And I'm saying this BEFORE the coach arrived! What I didn't KNOW . . . !) I just haven’t had a chance to sit down and catch
my breath since I got here. Whew! Won’t be happening for the next few days
either. Help – need some time to do a little sorting! Haven’t gotten unpacked
because I’m never exactly sure how long I’ll be staying in this particular room
or moving to another one, though I did do a little Christmas decorating – as it
were. (I even have a TV in my room – but who has time for that?!)
Saw Ricky and Tom in the kitchen briefly - they
chatted me up and called me Debs. Wanted to know if I was coming over to the
house today. I said, no, I was going to be a bum today (actually that means I
have other things I need, AND want, to do.) Yesterday had ended up being Plan
B, ALL day, and I needed today to play catch up.
(Oh, man, there’s SO much shopping waiting here!
In the meantime, just rubbing my hands together, in anticipation – till I can find
some free time to explore.)
I overheard a lady who was a guest in the hotel
refer to me today as ‘a foreigner’ - that’s pretty great - first time I’ve ever
been called that!
It was blustery and rainy today. I went out to do
the errands I had planned for yesterday but which never happened. For a change,
the weather report did NOT get it correct. It was supposed to be letting up,
but instead it went in the opposite direction, and it got wetter and wetter. I
had chosen my exterior wear by what I had anticipated and got a ‘little wet,’
but no biggie – it wasn’t torrential or anything. I figure, with the way I’m
wearing my hair curly nowadays, I’m pretty drip dry, wash ‘n wear – in other
words, impervious to the damp. Can’t hurt me, I’m the gingerbread man! The
wonderful thing is it is NOT chilly, and I sure do like that.
Came across a man who had a handy, disposable way
of dealing with the inconvenience of the rain, he had a small blue plastic bag
tied up around on his head – a bald head at that – he gets excused! Similarly
interesting was that a number of persons were out on the street with their
scarves wrapped snugly around their throats and umbrellas held low. It really
wasn’t that bad, promise! Just in the 50s, not THAT heavy of showers. While I haven’t
needed my gloves or a scarf since I arrived, you often see whole families of
tourists buried in their mittens and stocking knit caps, headed in the direction
of the shore.
57° at 1:00am. Just the wind surging against my window
(it DOES blow a lot here), while I was thinking it was the sound of the surf – not
THAT close, I guess. (Weatherman says rain on Christmas day. Too bad – not for
me, I don’t care, I’ll be busy inside – but for the guests, a little sun for a
walk on the beach would be nice.)
Photos_
1- what Leah had to say about my wreath and what I
replied back, but first, a little background: a couple weeks before Christmas,
I had found this reed wreath in Leah’s bin and asked her if I could have it – anticipating
my move, I already had a vision of what I wanted to do with it. Leah, who had
spent the entire weekend clearing away old ‘stuff,’ tried everything she could
think of to discourage me from adding it to my own growing stach of ‘stuff.’ ‘But,
what’re you going to DO with it?!’ You know how it is – one man’s junk is
another man’s treasure! I even figured I’d have to find some fresh, new ribbon,
but actually, what was there sufficed just fine – enough to hang it from the
top of the door, and enough to tie into a bow! Leah’s compliment: ‘you were
right, the wreath does look cute! A bit psychedelic with the magic mushrooms,
but cute!’ Debbie’s reply: ‘but Leah, you have it all wrong! Not
psychedelic - organic!! (and besides that . . . there's only ONE mshroom!)’
2- my little tree, from the top: my Erin bee; baby Jesus w/star, from the Poole Ward Christmas party; fight breast cancer, in the pink; knitted bee from the St Stephens holiday faire; grandma honey bee
2- my little tree, from the top: my Erin bee; baby Jesus w/star, from the Poole Ward Christmas party; fight breast cancer, in the pink; knitted bee from the St Stephens holiday faire; grandma honey bee
3- British bauble
4- ‘ya’d think it was the arctic’ tourists