Thursday, December 6, 2012

DAY HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT - a week of sorting


Began the day by accidentally pouring uncooked brown rice into my nice cooked porridge (with linseed and craisins and almond slices), thinking it was brown sugar. Well, great! Now, some of you would have just throw that away, thinking all was lost. . . well, not me – good and chewy! ‘Haste makes waste,’ momma always says . . . (Man, will I EVER get that lesson down? Maybe, if I haven’t gotten it YET, it’s too danged late!)

From the BBC (which of course, once you live over here, is actually a number of different radio AND television stations, depending on what you want – type of news, music, or program, etc.): the Boys Scouts are kicking around the idea of taking the term, ‘God,’ out of their oath – the reason being so that affiliated atheists will feel comfortable about joining in. The spokesperson being interviewed assured they would never be taking ‘queen’ out of the mix, on account of that applied to everyone. He stated that ‘remaining relevant is what we’re all about,’ adding that many years ago, up with the times, females had been allowed to join the organization, as they were just as important as boys were to the organization’s success. No such thing as separate but equal around here!

But the biggest item of news this morning, on the radio and the broad streets, is the revelation that William and Kate are expecting – in fact, poor Kate has been admitted to the hospital because of severe morning sickness. This child will constitute the third heir-apparent extant, to add to the already reigning ‘Eveready bunny’ queen, Elizabeth II. The discussion then turned to the subject of the existence of the ‘silver monarchy’ – aging kings and queens all across the extent of Europe, in fact – with the conclusion that in this day of longevity, the chance of ever again seeing a youthful king OR queen in England is next to nil.

My landlady is one of those persons (women in EVERY instance I’ve ever known) who has the annual holiday tradition of sending out Christmas cards to about every person they’ve ever become friends with – in their ENTIRE life. This morning when I was down in the kitchen, Myfanwy was working on her 200 plus cards. She had Christmas music going and she was singing along, in that old woman sort of slightly off-key, flat, vibrato-sort of way they have. Really sweet, actually – you could tell she was very happily engaged, thinking of the holidays and all – all those old memories surging about in her head.

This week is set: I have SO much to do. ‘Talk with Santa’ a little more about this and that, get majorly sorted and majorly packed up as I am arriving back in the UK from Amsterdam, just days before heading off to Weymouth, plus all the normal everyday stuff. Oh, boy, maybe I’ll bring another cold sore right on top of the one I’ve already got! Stay tuned . . .


Photos_

1- like I've indicated, 'sorting,' a term to cover a multiplicity of actions!
2- Royal wedding photo, April 29th, 2012, in the Throne Room at Buckingham Palace, with both sides of the extended family
3- you know you’re not in Kansas anymore when:  there’s a young gypsy girl hanging around outside playing Christmas accordion music for donations as you exit the grocery store. Serious. (Maria; from Romania, she said - I asked her if she was a student; her reply, I wish!)
4- Myfanwy (charming 79 year-old on the left)
        at her task
        with a recent visitor – longtime friend, Jean