Sunday, February 10, 2013

DAY TWO HUNDRED THIRTEEN - be my guest

Talking about how times have changed – as probably most of you have seen, today’s Google doodle celebrates Mary Leakey, archaeologist and paleoanthropologist. It is interesting to note that when I was growing up Dr. LOUIS Leakey (sounds like from what I’ve been reading that Leakey never was a degreed doctor at all – though I’m sure he received numerous honorary degrees), paleontologist, archaeologist, anthropologist, naturalist (obviously general, all around, ‘ist!’) along with HIS groundbreaking humanoid discoveries in Africa was the ONLY Leakey you ever really heard about – not concerning research by the Leakeys as a couple, certainly not regarding his wife, Mrs. Leakey, alone! What I read between the lines on her bio is very curious – whoever wrote it certainly is attempting to distance HER from HIM:  Leakey was born on February 6, 1913 and died in December 1996. She changed her name when she married Louis Leakey, also an anthropologist, in 1936. Her maiden name was Nicol. She is best known for her discovery of the first fossilised Proconsul skull, the skull of an extinct ape which is believed to be an ancestor of humans. Much of her work took place at Olduvai Gorge in Tanzania.

Time and again, I’ve seen it– the singular, pinkish-beige edifice with the rounded front that looks you in the face as you gaze out of the front windows of the hotel, from any floor, at the scene beyond. I’ve always wondered what was on the other side. Today, on a little jaunt, finally found out that the answer wasn’t so mysterious after all – the sea, PLUS more guest houses, guest lodges, guest hotels, and bed & breakfasts, (basically the same thing, just with an alternative name) – each very much like this one, the only difference being that these sit just behind the sea walk and wall, directly on the seafront. (Nice!) Someone asked me why the term, ‘guest hotel’ – ‘doesn’t EVERY hotel have guests?!’ Yes, I suppose – but to me the idea of a guest hotel is that your needs are catered go very much like being a ‘guest’ in someone’s home. There is a much more intimate atmosphere (often times Loraine sits around and chats with the customers, just as I have visited with the workers we’ve had who return week after week), while there are several commons rooms (frequently with games and books – ours recently acquired a billiards table) and meals are served in a communal dining area, with sides shared family-style at individual tables.


Photos_

1- what’s behind this building? (in fact, what building IS this?!)
2- 3 magical scenes out the front windows
4- the other side of beyond