Thursday, February 21, 2013

DAY TWO HUNDRED TWENTY THREE - the ‘40 miles further along the motorway from London' England temple

Today’s the day: I’m headed for the London England temple – for the very first time. Well, it’s true, I have BEEN there before, it’s just that it was closed for renovations. Today I am going all the way inside, to commune with the Lord. The occasion is Joe, headed to a mission in New Zealand in a couple weeks’ time, is finally having his opportunity to ‘go inside one day!’  He’s a great guy (great parents, who’ve done a great job!), and I am very excited for the opportunity to be a part of the small group that will accompany him along this part of his journey.

Malcolm picked me up in his pink Honda Fit WAY too early – 7am! Ugh. We zipped along the motorway with no delays – it was Saturday and the traffic was light. We made perfect time, arriving more quickly than expected (early enough to have a little walk around the beautiful, extensive grounds).  Saw several compatriots as we arrived in the parking lot. Saturdays are busy around here, and the carpark was good and packed. (My parents, back in the day when they were serving there, would have been pleased!)

The London temple is actually out in the lovely West Sussex countryside, rather than being located in any specific place – Crawley, the closest town. Whereas sessions are an hour apart during the week, today they are every half hour. As we entered the lobby, we were greeted by a man in white – you know the drill . . .

Following the session (the new name sister told me I was a minute too late – just before me she had given out an Elizabeth Taylor) we visited the little distribution center. Ended up at the same spot as several branch members, including Joseph himself. Told Malcolm that if he hadn’t been there to lead me down the convoluted route to get to the center, I never even would have known it existed. (In one conversation in which I participated, a sister asked where I was from. Her response to my answer was, ‘oh, Provo - home of the MTC!’ I had never heard my hometown represented in just that particular way before.’) Several miles away, on our drive home, we stopped by a miniature, family-owned ‘Deseret Book’ – bumped into many of the Branch members again! In the sale area I purchased a couple used CDs (whereas CDs are universal, VHS are NOT) that had been signed by their major LDS music artists, including Jenny Oaks Baker. The young lady at the front, daughter of the shop owner, told me that they had been hers, that she’d gotten them when she’d attended conventions in Salt Lake where she’d gotten acquainted with many of the artists. One, for instance, was Marvin Goldstein – who I know to be quite a cut-up – who, she told me, would say whenever he saw her, ‘Crumpets – can somebody please get this girl some crumpets?!’ Silly man!

Headed for home we took a brief stop in/look at the downtown area of Guildford (the ‘d’ is silent), on the outside edge of the greater metropolis of London, where Malcolm had once lived a number of years back. (It also happens to be the home of one of my new friends from the most recent singles convention – Connell.) Guildford, according to Malcolm, is quite a posh area (you could definitely tell by the appearance and accoutrements of the shoppers we saw strolling along – the difference between its clientele and what I’m used to seeing in the ‘backwaters’ of Weymouth was marked), that, next to London itself, is where people travel to for the shopping. Further along our route we saw a long row of hills that Malcolm said were called the Southern Downs. (But how, I queried, can what’s ‘up’ be called ‘the downs?’) We also passed quite closely by the town of Horsham, where one of my mother’s family’s hails from – didn’t have time to stop unfortunately. I also learned that what we call a speed bump is known affectionately by some here as a ‘sleeping policeman.’ Hah, that’s funny!

All in all it had been a lovely day. Arrived home just in time to change modes and don the habit of Polly for the dinner review.)


Photos_

1- what British rest stops have that ours don’t!
2- picturesque reflecting pool
3- House of the Lord, with Malcolm
4- shopping day on the High Street of Guildford