Got up and going earlier than usual, knowing
that it would be a busy day – what with the weekend upon us and all. Worked on
rooms ALL day long, even into the early evening as the dinner hour approached,
as Plan B and C took precedence. But it’s okay, because just today I got the
insight that it’s not the work itself that sometimes gets you down, rather it’s
those frustrating bits – like NOT having the bedding you need ready when you
need it – that squelch out any joy you might have experienced. If you’re
scrambling for this sized sheet or an ironed case or duvet cover, and not
finding it, it’s not very much fun and can be quite disheartening.
Things have been getting a lot better for us
chambermaids recently as just a couple days ago, a night porter was hired. (You would think - well, what does that have to do with us?!) Dave
started out his trial period in the hotel doing the laundry – that’s because washing
and ironing is what he does to keep himself occupied during the long night when he’s
not busy with his other responsibilities. He is a slight, quiet young man from Kings
Norton in Birmingham. He comes in at 10, caters to any late stragglers in the
bar, if need be, and then settles down for the long night by going between the washroom
where he launders, to the kitchen where he irons and folds, to the linen cupboard
on the second floor – all the while over security. Anyway, bless him – on
account of, because of Dave, we are now well-stocked with clean items for bed
and bath – plus he’s organized the shelves and it’s all neatly stacked in the
grouping to which it belongs. It is an amazing improvement - takes a lot of the
consternation out of my life, I can tell you.
Yesterday morning when I took one of the many
loaves of ‘nice’ white bread off the shelf to help Stacey get together some
toast for the breakfast diners, I suddenly noticed that a large chunk of the
end corner of the bread had been chewed clean away. Oh, my gosh! (The
interesting thing to me was that while there was a big spot in the loaf missing,
there were no signs of droppings – anywhere. For me that’s usually my first
indication that something is amiss!) This led to all the shelves with food
being cleared out, before being cleaned and re-sanitized, plus mouse traps put back
in some areas. No sign of our furry friend this morning – I think having Dave
up and about, in and out, throughout the entire of the night deterred his
little rodent expectations. Hopefully it continues! (The juxtaposition of the
advent of both Dave AND the mouse is humorously ironic to me – now we have
someone always present, 24/7, and at the very same time this guy shows up. Anything
crazy that goes on around here you just have to chalk it up to ‘Fawlty Towers!’
and then it’s ALL good! Wish I’d have thought to have taken a (insinuating)
picture but I didn’t.
Jack the cook threw together a good dinner for
me tonight, from what was left over from the restaurant - that was nice. (There
is quite a crowd in for dinner tonight – the hotel is near full up.) For a kid,
he’s a pretty decent cook. Sat in the lounge (in the house) and ate it with
Chloe and then for the first time was the one who took on the role of encouraging
her to get to bed – several stories, songs, prayers, and back rubs later. Even
when I finally said I HAD to go, she put up the usual fuss. She doesn’t like it
when her mommy is gone when it’s time to call it a day – thus found sleeping on
the stairs. Unfortunately, she has not been taught how to quiet herself without
someone else around. (Charlotte went out for the evening, leaving brother, Jack,
in charge but have seen neither hide nor tail of him – he’s there silently in
his room behind the door, I just know it!) I understand how she feels. It IS
hard to let go and go to sleep – you just might miss something. Speaking of
getting to sleep, I have committed to myself that I shall get to go to bed good
and early tonight, on account of I have to get up really early (for me) to
drive up to London to attend the temple. First time ever! (Yeah, well, it was a
worthy goal – as much as I tried, it did NOT happen!)
It is very common for guests to want
to take photos with ‘Polly’ – you’d think we were hosting a bunch of Asian
tourists or something! For instance tonight, this gentleman had his wife take
several photographs of him with me – sweet little, geeky man – very earnest. He
was also very anxious to tell me that he used to be part of a band back in the early 1980s
and there was something about a performance of Fawlty Towers, similar to what
we’re doing now – never could get the story straight in its entirety in my mind.
(Often times, understandably, bands that might have had some popularity here in
England somehow got lost in the translation and never do make it all the way across
the pond – meaning I hadn’t heard of them, I’m afraid.) This gentleman, as a
momento, even gave me a black & white glossy stock photo of the group, from
way back then, he’d brought along for the occasion knowing we would be having
the Fawlty Towers theme. 'To Polly - Love, Batty XXX.' (I think about
the time the prestige of this ploy wears off I’m going to start claiming to be Marie
Osmond) long lost older sister. What d’ya think – think it’ll fly?!)
Photos_
1- Chelyabinsk, moments later
2- Mickey?
3- Touch of Class – the band (definitely the late '70s - early '80s, as evidenced by the ‘touch of class’ hairstyles and clothing – been there, done
that! The gentleman in question is the third from the left. Can you guess where
his hairline has gone since this photo was taken?!)

