Saturday, February 2, 2013

DAY TWO HUNDRED FOUR - total carnage


Went to tackle the aftermath of the ‘Jaymie and friends’ birthday visit. You don’t want to know – suffice it to say that it is everything you would ever have imagined. Hadn’t thought of it before but it makes sense that, of course, everybody wanted to be as close as possible to the celebrity birthday boy, meaning the majority of the chaos was concentrated in the room he inhabited. The other three bedrooms were barely touched – and, as would be expected, the girls’ room was left perfectly acceptable. I’ll let ‘pictures speak louder than words’ – see below.

Here’s a funny thing: so last week as I was cleaning the worker boys’ rooms I came across a pair of bright blue earbuds under the bed. Didn’t really think much of it – didn’t seem that substantial of an item, so having tried them out to make sure they functioned okay, I plugged the cord into my mp3 player and popped‘em in. Worked like a dream; in fact, I LOVED the way they didn’t fall out of my ears every few seconds like the ones I have. Today I happened to be standing in front one of the cleaning cupboards, assessing my supplies, while listening to BBC radio 4, when one of the laborers (I ‘ve developed face recognition for most all of them as they return week after week) came up and asked if I’d found any earphones. I said, pulling back my hair, ‘you mean like these?!’ Turned out he had borrowed them from his mate – I said to please tell him, not to worry, we’d been taking good care of them till he got back. (Way to get caught with egg all over your face!)

Random observation: I love that Loraine has placed a Book of Mormon in every night stand, ALONG with Gideon’s Bible – many times two, if there are several of the right pieces of furniture. You just never know when some random person might pick up something that piques their interest.

How God works in mysterious ways his wonders to perform: I had been telling Loraine this morning, as she had had to leave yesterday after Sacrament Meeting and missed Relief Society, about the Dadds’ blessing – and challenge – saying that I really wanted to contribute to Tom’s mission, financially – in case there was any chance she might be seeing them in the next couple of days. Nothing came of that, and I assumed my desire would get no further than a good intention. If ever I go out shopping it is most often around 5 or so, which I did today. I usually start at M & S (for food bargains) and then if I’m needing more, go on to Aldi’s. Close to that store is Matalan’s, a department store similar to Kohl’s, I’d say – a place I occasionally pop into if I have a few spare moments. (On this particular occasion I was looking for some inexpensive black slacks to use whilst wearing my various ‘hats’ at the Richmoor.)

As I entered through the front doors, who had come in a moment before but the Dadds – Tom, Liz and John – and I knew just what they were there for! I walked up and told Tom how happy I was for him (for all of them, actually) and then dug in my purse. And sure enough, the denomination that I thought had been there was – making it possible for me to help in the very way I had wanted to do. How amazing is that?! While dad and son went off to begin their search, Liz held back to speak with me. She had been very intrigued with my talk, particularly as I spoke about my own especially heart-rendering ‘new beginning’ that had befallen me at the young age of 36, at which point I had had to return to work. She and her husband are about to end their 30-odd year marriage, a case of mid-life craziness – their youngest two still at home: sad! I have spoken with John at church; he is the nicest guy. What happens to people – how do they lose their way? Well, at least he is still coming out – and in a small branch like ours, you can imagine what challenge that would be! I admire him for that – as that’s got to take some kind of courage. No one – and I mean, NO ONE – would be oblivious to whatever missteps you’d made.


Photos_

what teenagers do:
   see this nice picture of a windmill
   see this nice room