Wednesday, October 3, 2012

DAY EIGHTY SEVEN - in my neighborhood I


The season has definitely changed. Leah tells me that this is the time when I’ll begin to notice those 8-legged, hairy, crawly things indoors, as they try to escape the advancing temperature change and get inside where’s there’s plenty to eat – yeah, like me!) Haven’t seen them yet – all I know is that nobody in this pacifist country wants to kill them. Try to catch them and get them outside, yes, but oops, if not and you miss them, no biggie. I’m not sure I’m up with this!

Today I was witness to crazy rain – big pounding rain that came out of nowhere, and that, in ten minutes, had moved on again; wait a couple, and here’s the next round! You can’t even really see it coming in the sky to predict it. (I take it back – oh, yes, you can – ‘cause watch out, here it comes again!!) * * * (I was talking to Leah later today and she said that about the time I was observing this phenomenon in the safety of my perch, it was time for her to pick up the kids from school. Oops, sorry for all those moms and kids caught out in the elements when the sky let loose. Leah said it was hailing. Somehow I missed that in all the craziness -  but then I was indoors!)

I am just trying my fifth kind of mushroom – and all of them at a ‘past due date’ reduced rate from the market: closed cup (like the normal large white ones you get in the store at home), button (smaller version of the former), oyster (the band is still out on that one), Portobello (crazy large, good for stuffing) and tonight, for the first time, chestnut (the package says ‘nutty flavor’) – YES! where have you BEEN all my life?!

I had just come in from a little walkabout this early evening (see below) when one of Myfanwy’s friends arrived for their weekly night of bridge. I was introduced as her lovely lodger, Debbie. Well, now!


Photos_

1- oh, man, here we go again!
2- in the hood (image from more densely populated area of Selly Oak – boarded up store, could be in Philly)
3- detail (notice roof nuance)
4- you’d think this was a movie set or something, but no, it’s just a regular OLD fire escape (wooden at that - oh, my!)
5- St Stephens ( just a couple blocks from my house, where Leah takes Ella for Play and Stay for babies)
6- more St Stephens (no gargoyles though)