Tuesday, October 23, 2012

DAY HUNDRED FOUR - public spaces


Not much going on today, so I thought I’d share some interesting side notes about where I live – been saving up a lot of captivating shots! It’s not like I’ve discovered anything SO different or awesome or anything, any different from any other large city, necessarily – just interesting to me, that’s all. After all, I never have had much experience, really, living in a big city, so it’s new and unusual to me! I’ll just let the photos speak for themselves.

One thing is litter – trash, garbage, rubbish, discarded matter, refuse, such as paper, cans, and bottles, left lying in an open or public place. I just can’t get over the fact that nobody seems to care about trash around here – pretty much no big deal in this country. It’s on the sidewalks, in the streets, lining the gutters, empty lots, AND front yards; it’s blowing, blowing, scattered by the wind. It is true that where I live there are lots of student renters, and we all know that it is pretty much a given that students could care less about their effect on their surroundings – until it comes the time that they become the homeowners themselves. Then suddenly, everything changes!


so much for public service announcements_

this way?

the circus that came - and went!

big city life_



The other interesting phenomenon I’ve found is graffiti - writing or drawings scribbled, scratched, or sprayed illicitly on a wall or other surface in a public place. I have found it in many different forms and places – yes, this IS a BIG city! Once again, it’s the images that tell the story.





on brick wall_

on metal fence (view from different angles to get the full effect)_



on youth centre - please no graffiti_

across RR bridge_

Yeah, right!



back of home_

on utility box_

on roof tiles_

 three feet down from ground in trough where train runs_

what used to be base of RR bridge - cut off and abondoned_

on hedge (w/little people)_