Saturday, October 20, 2012

DAY HUNDRED THREE - Stay & Play


Hadn’t heard much from Leah in the last couple days since Sunday. When I caught up with her this morning at toddler-baby ‘Stay & Play’ at St Stephens church (what a great idea – almost more for the moms than the kids!), I learned more. (Because there’s the chance that little guys might wander off, the outside door into the play area was latched. Leah’s friend Libby, whose husband is the curate at the church, let me in and greeted me with the words, ‘Oh, hello, auntie; come on in.” Wow, noice to be known – made me feel very welcome!)

I don’t know if you can appreciate it or not, but I only have to go down from my house the length of four houses, to where Selly Park Road goes up the hill, walk up for less than five minutes, and there I am at St Stephens.* Pretty great, huh?! That makes TWO places, and both on Fridays, where I can easily catch up with Leah, as I always know where I can find her. Anyway, it turns out that Katya had gotten a bad case of tonsillitis earlier in the week, and had had to miss a day from school. Took her into the docs, got some antibiotics, and by the next day, Katya was good to go. Amazing! (It is kind of sad to realize that when we were out taking walkies on Sunday with the family, she had been complaining of not feeling very well, tired and with a headache, but we grown-ups just brushed it aside as we are wont to do, and humored the poor girl into a longer walk. (Oh, you adults, you think you know everything. Can’t ya ever just trust a kid?!)

Also other issues have needed Leah’s nurturing time and attention this week. She apologized for being SO busy and not being available more. I said, ‘Leah, don’t you know, love is NEVER having to say you’re sorry.” No, not really, I didn’t actually say that, but something to that effect: ‘It’s okay – no worries, really. I know how things are - you don’t have to explain. I’m just here for you when and if you DO need me!” (For instance, I suggested I come over some evening next week so Martin and Leah can have a date night, as everybody – both students AND teacher parents – has their one-week fall break known as ‘half term.’)

Later in the morning as I was talking with Libby (I like to know about everything I don’t already know – in case you couldn’t tell!) she mentioned something about the vicar, and in the context I could tell she was not talking about HER husband. (Somehow I had gotten the idea that Libby’s husband WAS the vicar of the church, and didn’t realize there were different levels of church leadership.) She informed me that whereas the vicar is the top of the chain in an individual Anglican church, her husband was a curate – sort of the vicar’s assistant in training, if you will. She said that when they first came to St Stephens eight years ago her husband had thought he would always want to stay in the position of curate. But recently, however, he was beginning to find that as he develops ideas, he’s getting the urge to see them put into practice. The way things are, he has to go along with what the vicar thinks best – it’s his church, after all. ‘Then that means, to follow your husband’s career path, you’ll eventually have to move to a church of your own to, right,’ I said? ‘Yes, regrettably, that IS true,’ Libby acknow-ledged, and Leah nodded sadly in agreement, not liking the thought of losing such a good friend. (Katie is Libby's baby, and she and her husband have a couple other kids who go to school with, and are playmates of, Katya and Oliver.)

Also had a conversation with a fun lady about Leah’s age with a very tall little son. The interesting thing about Gina was that during her college years she had worked in Maine at a summer camp for youth for about six years running. (And, yes, she is definitely British and attended university in the UK.) It seems that at the end of her last summer as a counselor she and the camp director’s daughter . . . and a kiwi, she said, (You know, someone all the way from the wilds of New Zealand.) were able to get a car (through the daughter’s family), and the three of them travelled across the United States from Maine to Seattle, south to California, then back East along the southern route of the country and eventually back up to where they started. Can you imagine? Man, what an adventure! (Anybody out there envious?!) Obviously she had managed to get a lot of experience into her young life WAY before she got married. I think at this point she has two boys – besides a big boy to go along with them.

Oh, man, I wish you could all see those cute little toddler-babies sitting at the long, low tables, on their miniature chairs, eating their snacks. SO cute! And even cuter still is the sight of the moms and kids during singing time. A box of percussion instruments is thrown out, so most everybody is banging something. They sing a lot of old favorites – most of them you or I would know. Every once in a while a child would remember a hand motion or a line and suddenly burst into action, then zone back off again. Oh, my, I DO love babies. They are the most delicious of creatures!

*[The sad thing about St Stephens, along with many other churches in this country, is that, no longer supported by wealthy benefactors, they struggle with bringing in enough funds to be able to keep up the building and grounds. Pretty sad - this big, old, magnificent edifice, and ever so slowly it is falling into ruin.]


Photos_

1- St Stephens
2- another angle of St Stephens, showing the annex entrance for Stay and Play
3- two peas in a pod - Katie & Ella (said KaTie, not Kadie as we say it – according to Leah, ‘Kady’ is a totally different name here)
4- out of the feet of babes