Saturday, October 20, 2012

DAY HUNDRED TWO - Tom and Peter


Have been slowly reading Tom’s Midnight Garden all along, and with only a couple chapters left, I chose to finish it off in the luxury of my weekly bath. It had a really satisfying ending, reminded me somewhat of the charm and pathos of ‘Peter Pan’ and also the historical content of ‘Hitty, Her First Hundred Years’ by Rachel Field. All three stories were written for children and involve an element of space or time bopping. Both the characters, Tom and Peter, deal with the agony of time moving forward and loved ones growing up and beyond their reach. A very tender story – I’m really glad I heard mention of it so I knew to give it a try.

[Next I’m on to the historical fiction of Hilary Mantel, who this week was awarded the coveted Man Booker Prize – best original full-length novel, written in the English language, by a citizen of the Commonwealth of Nations, Ireland, or Zimbabwe. (How Zimbabwe got to be in that group, I do not know! You will notice this does NOT include America – heck! those guys have a plethora of their OWN literary awards!!) Quote: This is an unprecedented year for the Man Booker. Not only does Hilary Mantel become the first British novelist and the first woman to win the coveted £50,000 literary prize twice, she is also the only writer in the award’s 43-year history to win for two novels in a trilogy. (Is their some bribery going on here?! I dunno.) The project that began with Wolf Hall, soon expanded to become a promised trilogy - Bring Up the Bodies, this year’s winner, and the third installment of her series on Thomas Cromwell, The Mirror and the Light, with a completion date for which Ms. Mantel can offer no light.


Photos_

1- doorway to midnight
2- my own midnight garden
3- another shot of the garden, long and narrow (aka one’s backyard) - taken from the ground, for a change
4- doorway to Selly Oak branch library - can you read what it says overhead? FREE LIBRARY - that's gotta be old (right on the main street of town- doesn’t even have a parking lot; I guess everybody just walks there – I know I do. But what I really don’t understand is that there is always litter on the steps leading up to the entrance, and weeds – is that any way to show respect to a revered institution, a universal treasure?!)
5- the land that time forgot - really? in this day and age – a hand-inserted, hand-stamped paper for the return of the book? (Many of you won’t even know what this is!)
6- Hilary Mantel, author par excellence