Monday, October 29, 2012

DAY HUNDRED NINE - random l


It’s been a random day, so random thoughts:

Pandora Internet Radio is sad to inform me that due to licensing constraints, they can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S.  – but never fear, we have Jango! (Free music online, just like Pandora only fewer ads and more variety. Listen to hundreds of genre stations or create your own with your favorite music.)


Heard the following also on the radio:  in relation to financial markets. where stock trading nowadays, missing that human touch, is often transacted remotely by computers: To error is human, to really mess things up requires a computer. Hah!

I refer to ‘thesaurus.com’ a lot in my writing, and what should I discover there today, but the ‘I Am a Mormon’ campaign! And right in the queue of faces who should I see but that of restaurateur, Colton Soelberg, with Millie and Scout and Holden. Pretty amazing to find someone I know well on an international website! (Also see Kathleen Peterson, an artist acquaintance from Ephraim. See for yourself at mormon.org/colton)

Having been reminded by Myfanwy of the fact that it is flu season – or more aptly the season for protecting oneself against the chance of falling into its clutches – I decided it was nigh time I got an inoculation for myself. The only problem is that in order to get helped here, where you have the NHS (National Health Service), you must be registered with a doctor who takes care of all your health concerns. I, of course, outside of the system, do not have such a doctor – so had to do a little research. Came up with the walk-in clinic – exactly the place for the undercovered poor, lowlifes, and other similar chaff, such as myself. Today, with a little extra time on my hands, I took a walk up to the Walk-In Centre, located very close in proximity to the post office I frequently patronize.

The staff there were very healthful and hopeful – yes, they could definitely treat me. Unfortunately, injections is not part of what they do. They recommended I check with pharmacies located in Boots (a national drug store chain similar to a REALLY nice Walgreens or Rite-Aid) or a more extensive Sainsburys (nicer grocery store, with many additional items outside of the food category – like Smiths) than the one near me in Selly Oak. Unfortunately, neither of these is within close enough walking distance to me. No shot for me today!

Speaking of health issues, I have mentioned my never-before-experienced, and persistent, allergies. One thing associated with this is interminable post nasal drip which leads to a slightly sore throat – not to speak of having to constantly wipe one’s nose. (Not so good!) Leah suggested that the symptoms I’m having, rather than caused by some naturally-growing out-of-door substance, that I have NEVER had before, might very well be due to all the damp found in older homes (like the ancient one where I live) as well as other building structures – rampant playgrounds for molds, fungi and mildew. (Ew! Perhaps she’s right – I guess I’m going to die!!)

Was reading an article this week about what to expect in regard to the winter ahead of us. The headline reads, ‘Brrrrrace yourselves!’ It seems that between mid-November and the end of January we are to expect colder than usual temperatures. (Oh, great!) It went on to say, better enjoy it while you can: this week there is one last blast of warm weather in store before the chill begins. ‘A 21 degree centigrade (70F) Indian summer is predicted to begin as Hurricane Rachel runs out of purr in the Atlantic and shunts warm air across Britain.’ I, of course, got very excited – as we have been having the coldest weather I have experienced so far the last couple of days. I had been bragging about what the article had promised, until I checked on weather.com and saw that actually the week begins in the low 50s and ends in the upper 40s. Well, so much for that projection. Leah remarked to me when I said something about having my hopes dashed for a warming trend, ‘Well, Debbie, in England that IS an Indian summer!’


Photos_

1- street where I live
2- house where I live – 94 Oakfield Road (known as a semi-detached structure)
3-4 what Martin and Leah have been doing while I’ve been doing other things
5- grey skies (no skies) haven’t needed to break out the sunglasses for a while now