Friday, October 12, 2012

DAY NINETY THREE - the right honorable University of Birmingham



Today I was able to fulfill the offer that failed to materialize last week: attending hall-mate, professor Phillip’s lecture where he teaches at the University of Birmingham. Having studied a map of campus, I met him in the lobby of the Arts Building just before noon, where his class would take place in a typical classroom on the 2nd floor – give or take a story. There were between 20 and 30 students – with, I’d say, slightly more women than men.

It was the third week of the course titled, Christianity from Jewish Sect to Roman State Religion. Thankfully I hadn’t missed too much of what had been presented up to this point. Today’s topic centered around the subject, ‘The Parting of the Ways?’ or in other words, in considering specific passages from the New Testament, was this the point where Jewish followers of Jesus began the departure from their Judaic roots? How closely, in fact, was Jesus a follower of the Law? In case you were wondering, as I was, yes, Professor Burton did take role – but I think it was more for the purpose of putting names to faces. I will spare you details of the 50-minute lecture, and say only that the years and extent of the instructor’s learning and expertise were clearly evident, that it was an extremely interesting discourse – especially in light of its religious content. At one point Philip brought up an online ancient manuscript text of actual New Testament script called the codex sinaticus, and read and pointed out things to the class from its Greek text.

When class ended, Philip had an hour before he had another appointment so offered to show me around some. As we walked, we had plenty of opportunity to talk about today’s discussion (that was one thing – there wasn’t any, not one student offered their ideas or asked a question. I brought to Philip’s attention that perhaps his way of addressing the class might have something to do with this lack of interaction. At the conclusion of each point, he would pause, look directly at the class and query, ‘Are you okay with this?’ I told him that to me there could be two possible meanings to that question: ‘Are there any questions, meaning do you understand?’ or else ‘Do you AGREE with everything that’s been said?’ and assumed he intended the first. He said he got my point, and really appreciated the feedback, as he has been struggling with how to more effectively involve his students.

We took a look at 1) the great hall, at that moment not in use, a giant lecture/presentation room (also where graduation is conducted), every major university in England has one – oh, man, the paneling and old lighting fixtures! 2) the new music building – wow! wish you could have seen it, and did you know Edward Elgar was the first professor of music at the university? Cool - love his music! 3) and lastly, the Barber Institute of Fine Art, which has, among other things, its own art collection, SO extensive that I didn’t even choose to give it a start today. (I’ll be back when I have more hours on my hands than I do today, ‘cause you know me – I love art!!) Philip also informed me that the clock tower has a nickname, ‘Old Joe’ – named after Joseph Chamberlain, father-in-law to John Nettlefold below, and probably the greatest philanthropist the university has ever known.

After parting ways (hah - that was our topic of discussion today!), I spent a couple more hours, going in and around, and here and there throughout campus. There is a lot to see – I have only just begun to scratch the surface. I know I will be spending a lot more time getting to know it better. In fact when I asked Philip if it would be alright if I came again to his class, he said, for you? Yes! Hurray!! So every Tuesday, midday, you will find me a few blocks from home, up on campus for the lecture, with a free afternoon to look around further. There were a lot of student spaces with banks, eating areas, and shops, etc., that were, and will be, fun to peruse. You can be assured that today sprinting right to the top on my 'must do' list of 'must dos' was their bookstore. (I'll be back -promise!) I even came upon this spot where a charity had set out some kids’ items: one was a haunted house floor puzzle with heat-sensitive points you can touch where the heat of your fingers reveals what is hidden (shh, don’t tell – ghosts, goblins and ghoulies.) Yours for a pound!

The campus was absolutely magnificent - forgive me if I say that the university we all know and love would, regrettably, pale by comparison somewhat. You know, I must admit a lot of it was all those old buildings (a red-brick campus, I am told – as the different major UK universities fall into two of several categories) and established landscaping – an incredible design scheme between buildings and walkways and foliage and trees. The pictures I am including will hardly do it justice, I’m certain. (Looks for all intents and purposes very similar to BYU . . . but for the sale of alcoholic beverages right on campus!)

Part of my intention in coming up on campus today (up a hill from where I live, similar to BYU – temples of learning: temples and educational places of higher learning) was to find the place called Winterborne. Myfanwy has told me about it – how it has a charming place to eat, while the most amazing part is its garden. I didn’t really know what ‘Winterborne’ was, but I soon found out! Winterborne is the name of a beautiful estate, located right on the edge of the university, originally built for John Nettlefold and his family. I was able to tour the house, but saved the elaborate garden for a spring day in the future, as there is a fee to explore it – and we are not in the peak of the year for gardens, you know. It was another example of the Edwardian age – an era I am quite intrigued with, really. It was a time, not so long ago in the near past (spanning the period following the death of Queen Victoria to the break out of WWI – when the face of the whole world was changed irrevocably forever) when philanthropic people were becoming especially interested in assuring that life could be as noble as possible for all levels of the population – when the idea of family was given a truly high status, the gentler side of life was idealized. It was during about this same time span that George Cadbury (of the wealthy chocolate Cadbury’s) built a most marvelous planned community in Bourneville for the company’s key workers, a total of 140 acres in all. Nettlefold, also an industrialist and philanthropist, who had raised his small nuts, bolt and screw business to become the greatest manufacturer of said parts in the entire world, followed Cadbury’s lead and was also instrumental in developing a community that pioneered the concept of low-density housing, with a plentiful supply of open spaces and adequate amenities, located on the outskirts of cities, but with good transport links to the town centre. He insisted that Greater Birmingham must result in ‘better Birmingham’ and, when a member of the town council, ensured that the city was in the forefront of adopting town planning practices. What became of John Nettlefold – a self-made man who started off as a small-time business entrepreneur and became one of the richest men in all of Birmingham??

It was delightful exploring Winterborne - it is a museum really. All the rooms inside were spacious, with views to the lovely, expansive garden, and spaces for ongoing family life were evident. With all the clever talking displays and photos you really felt like you were a fly on the wall of this charming family of five children. They presented it as a loving family, with a mother very much involved with charities and committees and the issues of the day. In that house I had this lovely, warm sense of the ideal family, the warmth of their caring for each other and magnanimous attitudes towards others outside their circle. One aspect I found alluded to was that at some point later in the father’s life, he suffered some sort of physical or emotional setback. No one there could tell me anything more, though it was hinted at in several placards. I wonder what happened to this gifted, generous man in his later years – I could find nothing online to tell me more. I am hoping there is a biography I can locate in the library that will give some clues – quite a mystery, and kind of a sad ending to the story.

Tonight Myfanwy left the house all decked out, saying that she was going to a Dante Alighieri. Okay, and what’s that? Turns out it’s a group of people, the Dante Alighieri Society, who share the love of Italy and all things Italian. And tonight was their annual soiree. Myfanwy said they eat Italian food, drink Italian wines, mingle about speaking to one another in Italian (of course, many are, or have spouses who are, Italian), and for a time in the past, I am told, had a presentation delivered entirely in Italian. In years past Myfanwy had begun mastering the Italian language; in fact, she and her former, now late, husband (a nationally and globally-acclaimed linguist at this university) owned a second home in Italy. Her hopes are to continue with her studies soon.


Photos_

1- Dante Alighieri, major Italian poet of the Middle Ages

2- 7- on the campus of the University of Birmingham
         
          clock tower (up close and personal)
          campus artwork (no progress – value life)
          bookstore poster
          the grand hall
          fruit and vegetable stand
          Winterborne – family home & garden