Tuesday, October 2, 2012

DAY EIGHTY TWO - By the Rivers of Burminam**


I believe I have mentioned in the past that one of the wonderful things about Birmingham is that it is a multi-cultural paradise, with a diverse number of communities including Pakistani, Somali, Indian, Yemini, English, Irish, Polish, Jewish, Chinese, and Kurdish (not to mention Welsh, as evidenced by my landlady, Myfanwy) – add to that the amazing number of different ethnicities who attend the University of Birmingham, and the number sky-rockets even further.

This evening I attended another event at ‘the mac.’  In one of my frequent forays there I had picked up a flyer telling about a new art exhibit that was soon to open, entitled ‘By the Rivers of Burminam.’ Having scanned the pages, I discovered that the opening gala was this very night. (Related events include joining the photographer for an informal afternoon, reflecting on days gone by, over a game of dominoes; a walking tour through the associated Birmingham neighborhoods of Handsworth and Lozells; plus an artist’s talk and publication launch.) The retrospective (probably the greatest documentation of the Caribbean diaspora {the movement, migration, or scattering of people away from an established or ancestral homeland) in post-war Britain, detailing the experience of Black people in the UK and their community identity) includes over 100 photographs from 1968 through 2011 of the local Jamaican culture – the ‘minority-majority’ of Birmingham, and is part of the ‘mac at fifty’ series, ‘a programme of exhibitions, events and activities marking 50 years of mac Birmingham and the provision of arts for all.’

My queries confirmed that this group of Afro-Caribbeans came to Britain’s largest communities, firstly because of the British colonization system that opened up the doors, and then, secondly for economic reasons during the 1950’s, when menial jobs were going for the taking and where no ‘decent’ Brit would have them. Droves poured in as they were encouraged to immigrate and fill up the deficit in the country, while following that, family members, already here, urged and sponsored their friends and relatives back home to join them. I understand the largest sector of employment was in the transport industry – bus and train operators, mechanics, porters, etc., plus all the other associated fringe jobs you can imagine.

No doubt some of what spurred this photographer, Vanley Burke, into representing this particular theme, besides being of the culture himself, resulted from the fact the Birmingham has been the site of considerable unrest through the years. Back in 1981, the main motives for the riots that took place were related to racial tension and inner-city deprivation. The riots were caused by a distrust of the police and authority by the large ethnic minority communities, who had largely come from the Commonwealth in the 1960s and 1970s to do low paid jobs. All the areas suffered from poor housing, high unemployment and particular problems with racial tensions. The areas of Handsworth and Lozells  were originally built as affluent areas of Birmingham; however, the relocation of industry, poor connections and the influx of migrant workers had led to a downfall in their fortunes and the large Victorian terraces and villas were divided up into low rent bed sits. During the ensuing riots hundreds of people attacked police and property, looting and smashing, even setting off fire bombs.

By the new millennium, the ethnicity of the same neighborhoods had shifted somewhat, still related to Britain’s old colonization system. In Lozells, the majority of the Asian (in America referred to as East Indian) population was of Pakistani and Bangladeshi origin, while the black population was predominantly Caribbean. By 2005, the animosity that preceded a second burst of rioting appears to have been largely based on local economic rivalry combined with possible agitation from opposing criminal gangs. The problems specific to this area appear to be centered on the prevalence of Asian-owned businesses, as well as the 'unfair treatment' and 'derogatory attitudes' of each community to the other. An alleged rape fomented what began a horrendous several days of violence.

These disturbances demonstrate the complexity of ‘race’ and racism in modern day Britain, and illustrate how the issues of ‘race,’ class and gender interweave. Although the rape-claims were never substantiated, they raised issues of the attitudes of men towards women of different ethnic groups. They also brought to the surface deeper concerns over the competition between different, but, similarly disadvantaged, ethnic groups over scarce resources. In the area, unemployment ran at 22%. The disorder demonstrated too, that the issues of ‘race’ and racism transcend black and white. Against a grim socio-economic backdrop, the disturbances in Lozells, highlighted the multidirectional flows of inter-ethnic tension. Perhaps in this kind of socio-economic melting pot, disturbances such as these may sadly be viewed as inevitable to the future of this community – hopefully this will not be the case.

Back at ‘the mac,’  the most interesting part of the evening for me had been rubbing shoulders with the fascinating group that had assembled, not like anything I was used to – to feel their excitement, to observe the renewal of long-forgotten friendships and to wonder if it had been in one these photographic scenes displayed on the walls of the gallery that their relationships had first been established. Except for the composition of the crowd . . .  AND the fully stocked bar on the side, hobnobbing had felt very much like being on my own turf, at a similar opening night in a galley of BYU’s MOA.

**I never knew it – or even really thought about it before, for that matter, until I came across the title of this particular exhibit, that Birming’am is interlaced with its own river system – the River Cole, the River Rea (about 14 miles from its source, the Rea becomes a tributary of the River Tame, with its waters eventually reaching and emptying into the North Sea at the Humber Estuary – been there, done that: Cleethorpes!), and the River Tame (the most important tributary of the larger River Trent, one of the major rivers of England, that also reaches the sea at the Humber Estuary)  – among which you can find a meander, a tributary and a confluence, to name but a few of their many riparian features. Haven’t even really noticed them – where are they hiding?! (Aha, quote: ‘the River Rea (pronounced Ray) is covered by a culvert for much of its course through Birmingham during which it passes through the Pebble Mill area and runs uncovered through CANNON HILL PARK’) Hey, that’s right where ‘the mac' is – where I often go! Here’s one of the rivers, right under my nose – if it’d been a spider it would have bit me. See, they’ve been there all along – I just didn’t know it!

[Of passing interest and to give credit where credit is due (Re: the Royal mail):  Once a while back, when the memory card was not in my camera – but I didn’t know it – I was madly taking some photos when out of the blue my camera suddenly told me that it was out of memory space. What?! That was a sad revelation; I, of course, assuming it was referring to the memory card. I was putzing around trying to figure out exactly what was going on when I discovered a series of photos of people I had never seen before in my life. What – again! Who is this?! It was then that I realized my camera could store a limited number of photos right in the camera itself. (Surely didn’t realize that. Did you?!) So, still needing to get the set of photos off I had been taking, Martin helped me order a cord over the Internet. (You may recall that I purchased said camera at the BYU Lost & Found sale, and though it came with a lovely leather purse, it was sadly lacking any other equipment, and certainly not a user’s manual.) The most interesting thing, and the reason I bring this up in the first place, is that, having ordered it Wednesday night from the Wards’ computer, I received it today, delivered to my home with the Friday mail. That’s amazing!]


Photos_

1- ‘Young men wait for a funeral service at New Testament Church of God.’ George Street, Lozells (neighborhood of Birmingham). 1972 (two years before your oldest sister was born). Probably my favorite of the 100 plus photographs, covering the period of time from 1968 (the year I graduated from high school and started BYU) to 2011 (eleven years into the new millennium, and you were all there).
2-7- a lively confluence of personalities
8- the biggest honkin’ ‘Sound system @ Birmingham International Carnival.’ Handsworth Park, Handsworth (another neighborhood of Birmingham). 1987.
9- far from the maddening crowd