To my dad it is a military corner, while to my mom
it is a hospital corner. Whatever it is, did LOTS of them today! (You know how
you HATE to change a bed that is up against the wall? Well, me, too! And I did
a lot of those, as well. Yuck! (All this TO BE in England . . . easy choice – it's a no brainer !!)
(Chloe wanted to know if my ‘friends’ knew I was
here {in Weymouth, in England}. Cute.) I was attempting to explain to her how when MY Charlotte was asleep, she and HER Charlotte, her
mum, were awake, and vice versa. She was having a pretty hard time conceptualizing this abstract thought. To help the teaching moment along I was looking around for something to
represent the earth and the sun, when my eyes alighted on a box of tomatoes (used to make
the grilled tomato portion of a ‘full English breakfast!' – that'll do just
fine. I said, 'so it goes like this - you see the sun goes around the earth like
this, and when it’s on the side where you are, it’s light, and when it goes to
the other side, then it’s dark, and the same things for your soon-to-be friend,
Charlotte.' Not sure if she could understand my rantings – turns four tomorrow.
Oh, well, a beginning!
[This supplementary information really wanted to go
along with Day 177 – that would be New Year’s Day, 2013; notwithstanding that, however,
the next best place for it would have been yesterday, January 13th –
but seeing as how it somehow doesn’t really seem to fit in with Sunday-kind of
things, I am adding it in today. And the truth of the matter why it didn’t go
where it belongs in the first place is because I resurrected it from underneath
a bed just today!] From The Sun, self-proclaimed ‘Britain’s Most Popular Paper,
dated January 1, 2013 (and I can tell you I was a little afraid to go any
further because on the second page there’s a half page ad inviting you to ‘Get a gal-endar – Page 3* calendar with
FREE behind-the-scenes DVD,’ highlighting topless Kelly, 22, from Daventry),
safely from Page 5, Don’t be Afraid of
’13 – Facts Behind that Unlucky Number, did you know 1) sinister
associations to the number 13 date back to ancient times; 2)triskaidekaphobia
is the name for a phobia or fear of the number 13. The specific fear of Friday
the 13th is called paraskevidekatriaphobia or friggatriskaidekaphobia
(Well, of course, everybody knows that – was there any question!); 3) many
buildings do not have a 13th floor and rename it 12B, 14A or
something else instead; 4) the moon moves 13 degrees around the earth every
day, and it takes 13 days to change from a full moon to a new moon and the same
time to change back.
To continue: 5) in Iran, the 13th day of the
year is known as Sizdah Be-dar – people desert their homes to campout in the
countryside where they believe the joy they experience will cleanse their minds
of evil thoughts. The date is a national holiday; 6) despite being widely
considered as unlucky, 13 is actually a ‘happy number’ – a mathematical term
which occurs when the sum of the squares of its digits equals one; 7) in
numerology, 13 is a karmic debt number relating to selfishness in a previous
life; 8) the number 13 was ditched in Ireland in order to preserve its ailing
motor trade. The first two digits on license plates represent the year of
registration. Following concerns about the impact of sales if cars begin with
13, instead plates read ‘131’ for cars registered in the first half of 2013,
and ‘132’ in the second; 9) the earliest documented reference to Friday the 13th
is in an 1869 biography of Gioachino Rossini, who died on that day; and lastly,
both 13 as a number and Friday as a day (Jesus was crucified on a Friday – as
well there were 13 seated at the Last Supper, and Judas Icariot, is believed to
have been the 13th to take his place on that occasion) are
considered unlucky, making Friday the 13th an ill-omened
combination. In Spanish-speaking countries, Tuesday the 13th is
considered unlucky, while Italians fear Friday the 17th. And there
you have it - more than you ever wanted to know about the number 13!!
*Came across the term, ‘to go Page Three’ a while
back, (in fact I wrote the following months ago, because I thought the ad where
I heard it was SO hilarious and I wanted to know what was behind the
terminology) – never dreaming that I would have the ‘opportunity’ of experiencing
this phenomenon quite so upfront and personal as I did just now(!): ‘Going Page
Three.’ There’re these series of absurdly
comical ads on television in which the average person is caught in unexpected,
compromising situations - needless to say, they are very captivating. In this
particular segment, an average-sized & -aged mum, is shown from the waist
up, trying to cover her apparently nude upper body, her face all aghast, and
the voice insinuates: 'when mom goes page three.' In swimming Mom has inadvertently
lost her swimming suit top, as it shows you it floating on the water nearby. The
point of the ad it that when this
happens, then turn to this or that
product. Looking it up I found that Page Three (or Page 3) is a feature found in some
tabloid newspapers, especially in
the United Kingdom, consisting of a large photograph of a topless female glamour model. The feature
takes its name from the tradition of printing the photograph on the newspaper's
third page. Although Page Three is popular with some readers, it has also
attracted sustained criticism, notably from feminists – who argue that Page
Three objectifies and demeans women, as well as conservatives – who believe
that Page Three photographs are softcore pornography and inappropriate for publication in a
family-oriented newspaper. (Well, yes, I guess so! Oh, my, we’re not in Kansas
here, Dorothy, you know.)
Photos_
1- Princess Chloe helping with breakfast cleanup, avec
wand (gotta LOVE those princess shoes!)