May look like any old ordinary fire emergency exit
door – but NO! Though it IS an alternative route in case the stairway is
blocked in the event of a fire, Stacey pointed out that it is also a little-known,
back passageway to get between floors. From where I am on the first floor, it
leads down to the four bedrooms of the ground floor (which you can only
ordinarily access through the lounge). And then if you take the stairway up,
you end up in the hallway of the second floor. It just makes me wonder what the
purpose of this stairway was back in the 1800’s when this edifice was first
constructed – was it for more than fire safety? Had it ever been for servants?
Most exciting thing that happened to me ALL week! Accidentally threw the bin padlock into the large recycling bin when I was throwing in
the black garbage bag. Oh, man! You know how it is – both of your hands are
full of stuff, your one-track mind is thinking, ‘okay, this stuff is going there. You stop thinking, and the next thing you know, it’s, ‘oh NO!’
The instant I did it I KNEW something was wrong. Got Stacey to hold open the
bin lid, while I stood on a highchair from the restaurant and leaned way down
in. (She wasn’t too excited about doing even that much because she said it was
full of maggots, as well as various and sundry other exciting creatures. Thankfully the
bin had very recently been emptied so I could see a glint of the little blue padlock down at the bottom. Ger-oss!!
Photos_
1- secret stairwell
2- what practically every single person exits with first thing in the morning, who comes
out of the little convenience store I see across the street from my window – the daily ‘fish wrapper’
3- caught in the act!
4- golden nuggets: mmm, yummy – look for these: habas fritas
(popular in Spain). Actually, come to think of it, I guess about anything would
be good if you fried it up and salted it – and called it a snack!