Just came in from doing a little food shopping,
(around 6:30) – it’s dark and rainy out there (everybody else thinks it’s cold
– not me, though, I’m a Rocky Mountain girl!). One of the builders, (who like
the others stay in a room in the hotel during the week while they’re in town
working), with whom I’ve become acquainted – enough to exchange pleasantries,
was standing at the door – on his way outside to have a cigarette, I imagine.
As he held the door for me, he exclaimed convivially, ‘well, don’t you look like
a drowned rat?!’
Received that all important bank statement* today.
URGENTLY important – on account of I need it for proof of address to open my
new library account here in Weymouth. That makes three: North East Lincolnshire
Council Library Services (county), Birmingham City Libraries, and now Dorset
County Council Library System. I can check out books all the way from the
north, in Lincolnshire, down to the West Midlands, then even further down to
the coasts of Dorset. You would think I was well read, but . . . think again –
if I’m not busy, busy, I’m con’tri.bu.ting (that’s the proper way to say it,
you know) to my ‘beeinbritian’ blog!
It was during the process of applying for a
library card that I became aware of a new ethnicity. l was giving the librarian
all the necessary information – knew to bring in that something that verifies
my address (my bank statement from Lloyds). We were going along just fine when
we got to, ‘Ethnicity?’ I said ‘Caucasian, if you have it? Or white.’ She
replied, ‘well, I have British White – but I suppose you’re not that. And then, there’s ‘Other White.’ There’s a new ethnicity in town and I am IT!(Thought it was interesting that it was very important for the woman who signed me up to go out of her way to point out 'library fees and charges' - in fact gave me a printed sheet listing them. Me, late? I don't even have time to check anything out as it is!)
Mikey’s back. Heard this really fast patter of feet, going rapidly up and down the stairs several times in the late evening. Figured it had to be him – it was. He’d been held over, from his expected return from Poland, for at least four extra days by the bad weather in Europe.
Mikey’s back. Heard this really fast patter of feet, going rapidly up and down the stairs several times in the late evening. Figured it had to be him – it was. He’d been held over, from his expected return from Poland, for at least four extra days by the bad weather in Europe.
[Noticed a £10 debit card fee on my statement from
Lloyds, and thought, ‘now what’s THAT all about?!’ Turns out my bank card
naiveté, whilst blissfully shopping and charging away in Amsterdam, ended up costing
me £1 a transaction. Ouch, that hurts!]
Photos_
1- passports to the printed world – and beyond!
2- found this little discarded lamp back in the cleaning
cupboard (my room didn’t have one) – can’t light anything per se, but just
right for ambience